Proud and Tall

I'll be nearly an hour early for my shift this morning, but I could hardly sleep so it's not like I'm missing anything. With so many emotions and questions running through my head I spent the whole night writing, and with nothing to look forward to I know it's about to be another normal day full of Mr. Monroe's jokes and the local gossip from the ladies shopping at the cosmetics counter.

I'd skipped down the sidewalk last night, excited for a night out. This morning I find myself humming the tune performed last night.

Unless we want a party full of flowers on the wall, someone has to make the very first move.

It had been fun to sing at full volume without feeling the pressure of neighbors or passerbys like at home. 

I know I hurt Donny's feelings last night, I hadn't intended too. If I could apologize I would, but I doubt he'll be coming around anymore after my behavior last night. I shake my head, he just came around to check on me, to give me a break from my convictions I remind myself.

Reaching the front door that's not yet open for the public I notice a man leaning against the wall. My shoulders slump when I see who it is.

"Hiya." He says stepping forward. My hand falls off the door handle.

"I suppose I shouldn't be surprised." I say, crossing my arms.

"I wanted to catch you before the store opened." He pushes away from the wall and takes two unsure steps towards me. His movements remind me of the first night we met.

"I have to get in, I'm already late." I lie.

"I've been waiting for two hours." It's a crazy statement but for some reason I believe him.

"Parents warn their kids about people like." 

"Listen, I'm awfully sorry about last night-"

I don't want him to have to play his little charade anymore. "You did your good deed, you checked in on me, I'm fine. Time served." I hold my hands up in surrender, hoping he'll finally leave me alone. I'm in the business of making friends, just not fake ones.

He doesn't budge. "The guys really loved you. I want you to come sing backup with the band."

A delivery man pushes his way through the doors causing me to step out of the way, towards Donny. "I don't think that's a good idea." I don't have an excuse, I know I don't.

"Davy says he can get us a gig at Oliver's nightclub. That's a really classy place-"

"If you're looking for window dressing, that department is on the sixth floor." I say.

I've been sarcastic in front of him before, but he still raises his eyebrows in surprise, "Oh, a wisecracker! You might be watching too many pictures." He has no idea. I see a film every tuesday the Millhouse Theater, alone.

"Well, enough to know not to get myself in a no win situation." I counter.

"Like walking in there every day to wait on a bunch of rich old ladies?" He's not even ashamed of what he's said. I could ask him what he does for his day job, but that would only hurt him.

I shake my head. "I don't need to be rescued." I turn, intending fully to disappear into the store but he he says something that stops in me in my tracks.

"What if I do?" He asks. He's so full of sadness, it's like he's asking for help. I turn again. He holds his arms out wide indeed asking for help.

He sings quietly,

Starting is daunting, true. Trusting in something new. Fearful your luck will be reversed. 

I can do nothing but look down over him. He pulls a paper from his breast pocket and holds it out to me. "Come to rehearsal tonight. If it doesn't work out, you'll never see my face again. But if it does, it'll be a heck of a lot more exciting than singing a solo in church."