Time for An Adventure

Herb goes as white as a ghost; his mouth drops open in shock. I can't say in the years that I have known him that he has looked quite like this. I guess it is fair all things considered, my feelings at the moment match how he looks.

"Are you sure?" He asks. A visible shake in his voice.

"Well, yes I am sure. The scout that Percy chased carried the Kings insignia on his armour," Not being entirely sure I answer yes anyway.

I did see the insignia on the armour as he ran but it all happened so quick, I can't be completely sure. Plus, in these areas there is nothing to say that the two kidnappers didn't steal the armour and weapons. They could even have killed Kings Guardsmen and stripped them of their possessions, this of course makes them more dangerous. If they were willing to kill guardsmen, then what will they do to poor Percy.

"Ok, well we need to alert the homestead," Herb confirms.

Turning on the spot he makes his way back over to his hut, picking up his clipboard on the way. Disappearing in front of it for a while, I slowly follow him around. Surprisingly he is packing his belongings into his satchel, taking no care in how he throws it in.

"What are you doing Herb?" I ask puzzled.

"I need to warn the Elders, they will advise what to do."

"What do you mean, we know what to do, we have to go and get Percy," I state the obvious whilst questioning his intentions.

Without responding with another word, he picks up his satchel and heads straight for the village hall. Not only was it the venue of my birthday gathering, the Elders meet there also. I am left at the hut on my own, completely dumbfounded. I knew Herb was a ranger and has to report in too, but I thought he would have had a bit more initiative. Not wanting to wait and rely on what the Elders say, I take my own initiative and return to my home. 

Reaching the front door, I let myself in walking straight for my room. Located at the back of the house I pass everything without a second thought. I even make the mistake of ignoring mother on my way. I'm so determined to collect some bits from my room that I don't even know where she is. Getting to my room I cross the threshold and shut the door behind me. My heart is pounding in my chest and my breathing is still erratic. An unhealthy mix of anxiety and nervousness takes over me, my hands shake from the emotion.

Finding my pack under my bed I throw it down on top of my bed blanket. In a rushed state I race around my room collecting various items, in pilot mode I am grabbing items for a journey.

Amongst the frantic packing my mum has opened the door to my bedroom, standing there in the doorway and I haven't even noticed. Choosing suitable clothing, an assortment of neckerchiefs, under garments and shirts get thrown in.

"AHEM!" I hear from behind me.

Turning around I see my mother standing there sternly, her arms firmly folded across her chest. A wide-eyed stare held on her face.

"Hello mother," I say. An unusual sweetness carried in my voice.

"So, what is going on here, are you going somewhere?" She asks. Arms still folded and that unimpressed look plastered all over her face.

I have been so preoccupied with getting myself ready to go, that I haven't even stopped to tell my mother. I drop the garments I am holding into my pack, slowly turning to face her with my head aimed downwards. Where on earth do, I start with what has happened today? Will she let me go, will I have to defy my mother. With my head still looking at the floor, I take in a deep breath. Mentally preparing myself for this conversation.