Chapter 1 - The Sea

Althea's POV

The creek shimmers as sunlight bounces off the gentle waves of cold water. I lose awareness of the lively forest around me as I gaze at the smooth stones on the creek bed. I spot a small round yellow stone and reach into the water to pick it up, goosebumps rising across my arm from the cold.

"Althea." A somber voice calls from behind me. Startled, I quickly stand up and turn around. My aunt is standing a few feet away from me, a light breeze blowing her long hair into her face. Her eyes are puffy and her hands are nervously fidgeting with the sling of her satchel.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, stepping away from the creek.

"I've decided to go. I'm sorry, it's just you're finally old enough to be on your own and I've always wanted to return to the sea." She explains, averting her eyes from mine.

"But, what about the Narnians?" I ask, a heavyweight settling in my stomach.

"They have you. I've taught you everything I know. The best areas to find medicines, how to read the stars, and even how to fight. You know this forest like the back of your hand. My job is done and I'm needed elsewhere." She says, looking sad yet eager.

"What about Trufflehunter and Nikabrik? Trumpkin?"

"I've already said my goodbyes to them." I'm at a loss. I don't understand why she would choose now to leave.

"I don't understand," I say, a lump rising in my throat.

"You'll understand in time. You're strong, like your mother." She says cryptically, stepping forward and wrapping me in a large hug.

"Is this why you've been quizzing me all month?" I laugh, trying to hold my tears back.

"Yes." She chuckles and lightly pulls away.

"Will I ever see you again?"

"I believe our paths will cross again." She smiles one last time and disappears back into the woods.

"Goodbye," I whisper.

My aunt has been a part of my life ever since I can remember. When my father passed away, my mother took me to live with her sister, my aunt. They both raised me until a few years ago when my mom got sick and passed away too. Since then it's only been my aunt and I. She'd taught me countless medicinal remedies along with how to defend myself and navigate the forest.

My mind shifts through memories of her as I walk in the direction of the tree Trufflehunter, Trumpkin and Nikabrik live in. The once cold stone is now warm as I roll it in between my fingers. The forest has grown quiet as the sun begins sinking towards the horizon, making it feel rather eerie.

~

After a few minutes of walking, the tree comes into view. For someone who doesn't know a little house is hidden inside, would never give the huge tree a second glance. Since there is no doorknob on the outside of the door, I sharply knock three times, pause, then knock twice. This is something the little group had come up with to protect themselves.

"Althea!" Cries Trufflehunter as he opens the door and beckons me inside.

"Did my aunt stop by?" I ask, moving to stand beside the fireplace.

"She did, just a quick goodbye," Nikabrik says nonchalantly, his tone and demeanor unfazed. Trufflehunter shoots him a look that says 'if you don't shut up I'll sit on your head.' He coughs and looks down at the floor.

"I'm sorry Althea. I know it won't be easy but you have us. You're not alone." Trufflehunter says, waddling over to me. He holds out his paw and I take it. His paw feels rough and scratchy as he lightly squeezes my hand. Even this small gesture makes me feel better.

"Thank you," I say, mustering a smile.

He nods his head and moves back to the table, glancing at Trumpkin. He looks at me, sympathy filling his eyes.

"What do you have there?" He asks motioning at my hand that's still fidgeting with the yellow stone.

"I found it in the creek," I explain, turning to face the fire. I reach up and place the stone on the mantel next to several stones, feathers, and other odds and ends. All having their own stories. When I find something in the forest that catches my eye, I always end up bringing it back here and displaying it on the mantel.

"Ah, another one huh?" Trumpkin says, his eyes crinkling with a smile. I'm shocked. Trumpkin hardly smiles, ever. He stands up and walks over to the mantel, grabbing a few random items off of it. I'm confused until he moves to the other room where he shoves them under his small bed. He moves back to the table and sits down next to jaw-dropped Trufflehunter and Nikabrik. I can't help but giggle at their stunned faces. We all end up laughing and cracking smiles. Everything was going to be just fine.
~~~
Thank you so much for reading!
I hope you guys enjoyed it :)