Chapter 13 - The Telmarine Who Saves Narnia

Quick Note:  Just for context this POV overlaps with the last chapter, so they're happening at the same time.

~~~

Caspian's POV

I don't know how I've let myself get to this point. I almost set the White Witch free because of my own selfishness. I'm snapped out of my daze by the growling werewolf a few feet away from me. Before I can make any move towards Althea, it's tackled her to the ground. Time goes in slow motion and all of the anger and jealousy I feel wholly dissipates the moment her cry pierces my ears. Althea doesn't move and neither does the werewolf.

I hear her whimper and start to struggle underneath the weight of the limp body. Peter and I start forward at the same time, lifting it off of her. She scrambles backward gasping and covered in blood. I panic for a few seconds before I realize it's not her own. We help her stand and she doesn't look at either of us. I follow her gaze and she's looking up to the carving of Aslan that's visible again. Peter's face mirrors mine as we both realize what we almost let happen. A wave of guilt washes over me as Althea trembles in my grasp. She could've gotten seriously hurt, maybe even died because of me.

Susan enters the room, shaking her head at Peter and walking straight to Lucy. My attention is brought back to Althea as she pulls away from me. I want to say something, anything but no words come out. She leaves, following Susan and Lucy out. It's silent for a moment before everyone else leaves too.

Nikabrik's body is slumped on the other side of the room, beside that old hag. Althea's dagger is still sticking out of the wolf's ribs so I reach down and pull it out. The second one is on the ground surrounded by melting chunks of ice. I pick it up and leave the room. I find Althea's bag slumped against the wall and feel even worse. She had been the first one to notice something off and didn't even hesitate to save me even if it meant she would be in danger. Again.

I pick up the bag too, continuing into the main room. I find a spare bucket of water and start to rinse her daggers. The cut on my hand stings and my shoulder aches, but I ignore it. I hadn't noticed before, but the handles of her daggers are pure silver. A deep blue sapphire is embedded in the base of each blade with intricate designs wrapping around the rest of the handle.

"They're quite elegant aren't they?" A small voice asks. Trufflehunter is standing behind me. "They belonged to Althea's aunt."

These daggers are important to Althea then. She must've been very upset and overwhelmed to have left them behind. Trufflehunter picks up on my silence and motions for me to follow him. He leads me outside to the small stone square and sits down on one of the large rocks. I do the same.

"Trumpkin told me what happened." He says. "You are not alone here my prince. I know it must feel that way but no one understands that more than Althea. Even when she had her aunt, she was alone." I pause.

"What if she doesn't forgive me?" I ask. I pushed her away and even yelled at her. She wouldn't even look at me earlier so I wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to.

"Althea is one of the most forgiving and understanding people I know. She would even forgive Nikabrik if he was still around. All you have to do is ask." Trufflehunter says. "And as for the Narnians, we need you just as much as the Kings and Queens of old."

"Thank you Trufflehunter."

"Of course sire. It's getting late so I'm going to retire to bed." He says, hopping off the big rock and heading back inside.

I wait a little bit, watching the sun sink below the horizon before heading inside too. I go to the sleeping chambers. Althea is asleep in the bed next to mine. I kneel as quietly as I can, and set her bag and daggers under her bed, but not so far under that she wouldn't be able to see them when she wakes. I look up at her face, she looks so peaceful, no longer afraid like earlier today. Her hair is also different, half of it it's pulled back into braids making it easier to see her face. I brush a stray strand of hair out of her face and tuck it behind her ear. She looks beautiful and it makes my heart race.

I stand back up and take off my armor and sword, putting them under my own bed. I pick up my cloak and drape it over her. I make sure it's covering her feet before climbing into my own bed. My hand and shoulder still hurt but I'll just wrap them up or something tomorrow.

~

I wake up early the next morning. Althea is still asleep as are many of the Narnians when I slip out of the room. I look for my professor and find him sitting on the ledge on top of the How. I take a seat beside him.

"Why did you never tell me about my father?" I ask.

"My mother was a black dwarf from the northern mountains. I risked my life all these years so that one day you might be a better king than those before you."

"Then I have failed you."

"Everything I told you, everything I didn't. It was only because I believe in you like many of the people here have grown to as well. You have the chance to become the most noble confladiction in history. The Telmarine who saved Narnia."
~~~
Hope you enjoyed even though this chapter wasn't the best. I'll update next Saturday as usual.
Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow for future updates.