Chapter 16 - The Duel

Althea's POV

Lucy and I safely make it out of the tunnel. The cheers of Narnians and Telmarines sound muffled by the trees. Caspian's horse is fast and I make him to go faster. We haven't been riding for long before we reach a small pond, the first sign that we are going in the right direction. I stick close to the sheer hill as we pass. We've almost made it away from the battlefield when I hear shouts and horses on the ridge behind us.

"They've seen us!" Lucy yells, holding on to me tighter. I lead the horse down into a small thinning of trees and pull him to a stop. I climb off him and hand the reins to Lucy.

"What are you doing?" She asks, panic thick in her voice.

"I'm sorry Lucy. But it looks as if you'll be going alone after all." I say, the sounds of the soldiers getting closer. "Listen, go up that small hill there. At the bottom, the trees get thicker. If any get past me, you'll be able to lose them."

She doesn't say anything so I smack the horse's behind making him move forward again. As she leaves I unsheathe my daggers wishing I had a more versatile weapon. I hide behind a tree and wait, my body shaking with adrenaline. When the soldiers are right on the other side of the tree, I leap out, throwing one knife at the closest Telmarine. He slumps forward and falls off his horse. Another rushes at me and I duck under his sword, my blade cutting through the straps holding his saddle to the horse. He slides to the ground too as I quickly unlodge my knife from the first. That leaves four and they're all circling me. I chuck the dagger again, killing another one. One starts to slip away, trying to leave and go after Lucy so I frantically throw the last one. A horse knocks into my side and I just barely manage to protect my face as I fall onto my back. His horse prances in front of me, the soldier about to run me through with his spear.

I hear someone shout behind me and my heart leaps when Caspian comes out of nowhere, using his horse and sword to block the soldier from me. He takes him down effortlessly before sheathing his sword again. I scramble around to pick up my daggers while that's going on.

He pulls his horse around to me, holding out his hand and smiling down at me.

"You almost broke your promise." I just laugh and shake my head as I take his hand and get hoisted up behind him.

"I don't remember promising anything." I scoff, slithering my arms around his waist. I hear him chuckle quietly as we take off back to the How.

~

When we burst back into the clearing, the duel is still going on. Both opponents looking worse for wear. Peter looks up at us before exchanging some words with Miraz. Caspian helps me off the horse and follows shortly after, Peter and Miraz seem to have agreed to take a break. Peter looks like he's in a lot of pain and is clutching as his shoulder so I start for him to help.

"Lucy?" He asks.

"She got through, with a little help," I explain, glancing at Caspian.

"Thanks." Peter sighs.

"I better get up there, just in case," Susan says from behind him, motioning to the ledge of archers.

"You're right. I don't expect the Telmarines will keep their word." Peter says. Susan gives him a short hug and his response is a groan of pain.

"Sorry."

"It's alright."

"Keep smiling," Edmund says, looking back at the Narnians who are starting to worry for their king. Susan leaves, running into the entrance of the How while Peter holds his sword up in triumph. The Narnians cheer and I can't help but smile as hope fills my chest.