Chapter 2 - The Escape

Caspian's POV

It's dark in my chambers and completely silent. A large hand flies to my mouth, instantly waking me. I can see the glint of my professor's glasses as he leans over me.

"Five more minutes," I groan, pulling his hand away.

"You won't be watching the stars tonight my prince." He says in a rushed tone.

"Come, we must hurry." I move to get out of bed. He pulls me to my feet and towards the side of my room.

"Professor, what's going on?" I ask.

"Your aunt has given birth... to a son." He says, pulling open the door to my wardrobe. He fiddles with the back of it until it opens a secret door. I follow him inside, peaking out of my wardrobe. The door to my room quietly opens and a dozen soldiers file inside, led by General Glozelle. He motions for them to surround my bed, the thin drapes covering my bed, still drawn shut. They all start firing arrows into the bed where I was just sleeping. I feel sick at the realization of why this is happening. They don't stop until no arrows are left to shoot. I silently close the door and follow my professor down a narrow, spiral staircase.

We make it to the armory where I quickly grab a sword and simple armor. My professor throws his cloak over my back and ushers me onto my horse.

"You must make for the woods."

"The woods?"

"They won't follow you there." He explains while pulling something out of his robes. "It has taken me many years to find this... Do not use it, except at your greatest need."

"Will I ever see you again?" I ask, taking it and storing it in my saddlebag.

"I dearly hope so my prince. There is so much more I'm meant to tell you. Everything you know is about to change." The sound of yelling soldiers echoes throughout the armory.

"Now go!" He says, urging my horse to move forward. Without looking back, I ride out into the courtyard. A pair of soldiers try to stop me with long spears but I easily get past them.

As soon as I make it across the bridge, explosions start going off behind me. My heart is racing out of my chest as I glance back to see fireworks going off above the castle.

"A son! A son! Lord Miraz has a son!" A man shouts from one of the towers. A small group of soldiers starts to cross the bridge after me, probably the same ones who invaded my chambers. I take off through the streets eventually making it to the foothills that surround the castle and small city. I head towards the river as a sick feeling builds up in my stomach. They're gaining on me. I curse under my breath as the cold water floods around my legs, the current pulling at me. I feel my horse slip on the river bed as I get closer to the other side. I hear shouts behind me and loud splashes of water. I look back and see one of the soldiers flailing in the river while getting swept away.

Luckily, I make it across and take cover in the woods. I hear them stop and look back to see if they'll follow me. I don't see anyone and quickly turn back around.

When I turn back around a tree trunk across my path, I don't have enough time to react before it hits me in the face with such force, I'm knocked off my horse. I grunt with the impact and feel my ankle get caught on the stirrup of my saddle. My horse continues to drag me across the forest floor until I finally manage to free my foot. My horse runs off into the woods while I lay there stunned and trying to catch my breath, my face pounding with pain. My heart feels like it's going to explode and I'm drenched in sweat. I sit up and hear a creaky door open. I look over to the cause of the sound. Two dwarfs are standing in the doorway of what looks to be a huge tree stump.

"He's seen us!" One with grey hair says, brandishing a sword. The other one, with ginger hair and an even longer beard, sprints down the hill at me. I scramble backward, but he stops when he sees a white horn laying at my feet. That must be what my professor gave me. The soldiers can be heard in the distance.

"Take care of him." The ginger one says, running off to fight the Telmarines and keep them from getting any further into the forest. The grey-haired dwarf starts to come at me. I look around for my sword but the only thing within reach is the lion-shaped horn.

"No!" He shouts as he sees me reaching for it. Without hesitation, I blow into it as hard as I can. The sound rings throughout the forest before something hits me on the side of the head. Then everything goes dark.
~~~
Thanks for reading!
Sorry that the first few chapters are short, but they are important.