Chapter 11: Twist of Events

Midoriya stood (more of a hunched stand than anything else); looking at Shigaraki with his purple-in-black eyes. He stumbled slightly, moving a foot forward with a flinch in his face.

'Ohhh...?' Shigaraki murmured. 'Were you the one causing all those problems...' The way he spoke made it sound like it was more of a child noticing something, rather than an adult asking a question. 'Amazing... Such a game-changing quirk...! I'm impressed... I can see how much you're struggling... Trying to keep All Might alive... Maybe it isn't game over... I'll still be able to take away All Might's pride!'

Shigaraki lunged at Midoriya, rearing a flakey hand at Midoriya's face. All Might was preoccupied enough to stop Shigaraki, but nonetheless could see the attack on his student. Midoriya's eyes glazed over Nomu's body before catching between All Might's for a split second. All Might felt a shift, liken to a pull of a rope and a grasp of a flower's petals. It was soft yet forceful, folding its "fingers" around his consciousness while it tugged at it like a tooth.

Midoriya was now within an arm's distance from Shigaraki, still air-bound. Midoriya's eyes focused on Shigaraki, his smile long gone and now a grimace. What came next surprised All Might, shocking Shigaraki faster than it had time to render in his mind. Midoriya — who before had been on the verge of collapse — darted his hand towards Shigaraki's throat, catching him with an unexpected strength, semi-slamming him to the ground. Shigaraki was left panting on the spot, hands reaching almost flailing around the air like chickenless heads. Midoriya's hand was still at Shigaraki's throat; Midoriya clumsily grabbed the hand on Shigaraki's face and removed it, throwing it somewhere to the side. All Might could feel the grip of the Nomu return, its fingers trying to push into his side. Kurogiri stumbled as well; just after Midoriya had performed his little stunt. He fell to his knees as what appeared to be his arms fumbled to his head-area. Midoriya got up. He looked at Kurogiri; forcing his mind once more onto the villainous cloud.

A sheet of ice blanketed the ground, running up to the side of the Nomu — still preoccupied with adjusting its neck after All Might's german suplex. It spread up, like a parasite, creeping up half of it until it was forced to let go of All Might. A screech of puberty and anger blared. Bakugou flew, landing practically on Shigaraki, who was muttering to himself while he was crawling to the hand. Bakugou pushed him onto the ground; his hand around his throat, threatening to blow Shigaraki's head off. Shigaraki wasn't responding directly to him, only mumbling and quietly pleading for the hand. Todoroki came onto the scene, calmly threatening the Nomu and Kurogiri not to move. Kirishima came to, looking for a place to show off his skills but, none had been provided.

'That's not fair,' he said dejectedly, 'You guys got to show off your quirks!'

'Shut it, shitty hair!' Bakugou sneered, not taking his hand off Shigaraki's pleading neck. 'You too, creep! Any more of that hand-stuff, and I'll blow your head in!'

Kurogiri, on the ground, could see Shigaraki's face. He would have apologised to his 'young master' but held it in. Even under the current circumstances, he saw an opening; if Shigaraki got his father's hand back on his face, he might be calm enough to face off against the other students...

'Kirishima...' Todoroki said. 'Watch this one.'

Kirishima grinned, walking over to Kurogiri to guard him.

All it would take would be for Kurogiri to warp the hand to Shigaraki's one free one (Bakugou had just put his knee on Shigaraki's left hand/arm, stopping him from using it). Todoroki listened a little more closely; picking out the small requests of Shigaraki. All Might hopped out of the Nomu's grasp, watching it carefully and clutching at where it had dug into him. Blood dripped from their teachers' mouth, as did some from the wound that did so slowly. He coughed a "thanks" and turned back to the Nomu. Todoroki turned his gaze back to the pleading villain, looking down at him.