Everything is Okay

Leorio absentmindedly ran his hands up and down Kurapika's exposed sides. As they laid together on their bed, the only noise heard between the two was a boring Netflix original that had been tuned out a while ago, Leorio's fingers trailed over his rib cage. It traced old and new scars alike that danced across his torso like abstract art on a canvas. Leorio never knew whether to be amazed or mildly disgusted with them, so at some point he simply settled for a mix of both.

   Kurapika, after some time, adjusted his face against Leorio's chest. The small movement pulled Leorio out of whatever thoughts he had buried himself into, subsequently ending his wandering hands as he instead gently pulled Kurapika taut against him. As leorio softly pressed a kiss to the top of his head Kurapika cleared his throat.

   "Have you ever thought of having children?" He pried his eyes away from their entangled legs to look at Leorio and watched as his eyebrows furrowed in thought.

   "In passing, sure, but never seriously."

   "May I ask why?"

   "Well uh, before I decided to become a pediatrician I was too young to be thinking about stuff like that; and after I made my decision I knew I'd be too busy with other people's kids to really have my own."

   Kurapika nodded, muttering a small "That's understandable."

   "What about you?"

   "A while after the death of my people I felt the responsibility to carry on my bloodline, but at the time I felt I couldn't do it." He shuddered as Leorio's hand began to resume its earlier actions.

   "Sorry—"

   "It's alright, I didn't mind. Anyways, back then I didn't know what surrogacy was but I did know my attraction towards men would make natural... conception... impossible." Kurapika felt Leorio's chest bounced and vibrated as he chuckled, causing Kurapika's face to scrunch into a small glare.

   "Pushing the how's aside, Do you want kids Kurapika?" He emphasized the word 'want,'.

   Kurapika went silent for a minute. "Yes. Do you?"

   "Yes." He softly squeezed Kurapika closer with a smile. "Maybe... we should consider."

   Kurapika scoffed but couldn't hide the small smile playing at his lips. "I know we're two fully capable grown men but even you know we wouldn't be able to take care of an infant."

   "Then we'll settle for adopting and get a kid bigger than an infant."

   "We're living in an apartment, Leorio, and not even a good one." Kurapika shifted his head, resting his chin on one of Leorio's pecks to comfortably look him in the eye.

   "I already make enough for us to put a down payment on one of those cute smaller houses near that grocery store you always go to, we'd just have to save for new furniture."

   "We aren't married!"

   "We aren't married yet."

   "We aren't even engaged!"

   "Not engaged yet."

   Kurapika shook his head with a small huff, propping his cheek against leorio's torso again, the tiny grin on his lips growing almost unnoticeably. "So you're planning on proposing?"  

   "What gave you that idea?"

   "Leorio!" Almost offended, he sat up straight, untangling his legs with Leorio's so he could turn to face him.

   "I can't answer that question, it's supposed to be a surprise!"

   "You got me excited for no reason." He said jokingly, his arms crossed stiffly across his chest.