chapter twelve

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
chapter twelve
the dawn of change
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Hajime was silent for a moment, and you felt a small pressure squeeze your heart. Finally, he broke the silence with a sigh. "Oikawa will be mad," he said, slowly. You sent him a look, one that only said that you knew. You knew, and you couldn't bring yourself to care too much. Hajime sighed again.

The two of you were on the hill overlooking your childhood again. This time, it wasn't cold, as the school year was slowly coming to an end.

Hajime frowned at you. "Is this because of that woman you like so much? Did she tell you to do this?"

You swallowed, thinking of the only two grown-ups you actually admired in your life. First, of course, there was Hajime's mother, who you tried to visit at least every two weeks, who would always hold a special place in your heart, and who, more than anyone else, was your mother, too. You loved her deeply.

But she, of course, wasn't the woman Hajime was referring to. He was talking about your piano teacher, who couldn't really be called that as she never taught you how to play the piano. Your lessons with her were fascinating, she would give you books to read, give you tasks that stimulated your mind like nothing else ever had, and she did all of this, while making it clear that you were not a nobody. She believed in you, and made this very clear, too.

After every lesson with her, you were just seized by a need and passion to learn, you wanted to be filled with knowledge, and in those times, you learnt about many things in little time: art, literature, science, history, everything you could think of. Never would you be satisfied, you always wanted more knowledge, more time to read, more time to write.

She made you increasingly happy.

"What's she called again?" he asked, threading you a look.

You thought for a second, but the words didn't come to you easily. "I- I only call her Piano Sensei in the lessons, but- but I think her full name is Kuroo Himari. She taught the piano at her son's high school or something, and one of her students was that guy we see in the news a lot." Your throat worked, and you seemed to be fighting for the right words. You wanted to make her seem like the impressive person she was, but nothing was coming out right.

Hajime scowled, crossing his arms over his chest. "Never heard of her."

That wasn't really a surprise though, was it?

"She's amazing, Hajime," you breathed out quietly.

Hajime nearly flinched at the look in your eyes, the look you didn't even acknowledge, and seemed to hesitate for a moment, but then he set his jaw, determined. "So, it is because of her?"

You hesitated again.

"No... she doesn't even teach at Nekoma High anymore, but if I go to a school in Tokyo, a good school, we'd have time for more lessons."

But it was partly because of Piano Sensei, the tall, lean woman, with the brows and lashes drawn in a darker hue. You admired her, you wanted to learn from her. And if you were nearer to her, you could learn more, you could gain more...