Food for Thought

Liam's house seemed to loom over me in an accusatory way as I skulked past it on the way to my own. Both of us lived in Dutch Colonials but where mine was a boring dingy white, Liam's was a striking barn red that him and his Dad had painted back when we were 10. The paint job had held up far better than Liam's mother had ever predicted it would and I smiled at the memory of her disproving face as she brought them out bottles of water and ham sandwiches. The younger and the elder both paint smeared and full of mischievous male confidence.

My smile quickly faded though when a more recent memory replaced the last. Liam rumpled and sexy on my bed with hurt in his eyes and confusion twisting his familiar features. My heart ached and I swallowed the sick feelings rising up through my throat. I just couldn't stop picturing it.

"Hey loser, Liam stopped by." My brother, Louis, regarded me suspiciously while I stood in the entryway, his lanky body living up to the awkward growth stage 13 year olds hovered in. He swept back his black hair that was identical to mine in color and texture, a heirloom of our ancestry.

"Is he still here?" I anxiously signed to my brother who just shook his head negatively and started to shuffle his big feet towards the kitchen. Doubtlessly continuing his constant quest for food. I caught up to him and hit his shoulder. He turned in instant sibling irritation and swatted at me.

"Did Liam say anything? Like if he's coming by later? How did he look?" My hands fumbled to get the questions out fast enough because I knew I only had so long before my brother's limited attention span for me pegged out.

"Wow. Obsessed much?" Louis signed back. He rolled his eyes dismissively and trudged away.

He was right though. I was obsessing over this. I needed to stop being a coward and just deal with it. I kissed Liam. Big mistake for a friendship, but I hadn't lost control of the situation. And in the greater scheme of things it could have been an even bigger mistake. This was manageable. I just needed to apologize, take responsibility, and never do it again. How Liam would choose to handle it would be up to him.

I sat my bag on our weathered oak dining table and walked back outside to make amends. Normally I'd waltz right into Liam's house with the assured entitlement of a childhood friend, but whenever we were on the outs it never felt right. So after some nervous hesitation, I rang the doorbell. The door swung inwards to reveal Liam's mom.
Holly was busy wiping clay from her work worn hands, but when she shook her graying brown hair from her eyes and saw me she gave me a knowing grin.

"I knew something was up with Liam. You know I hate it when you stand on the porch like a stranger. Last I checked this was my house, not Liam's. You can always just come right in." She mouthed her welcome clearly from a face that echoed Liam's in coloring and genetics. His looks had always been bent more towards his mother, with his father's powerful frame and height.

Her words made my heart jump in my throat, but using my considerable practice I kept my expression unaffected and instead gave her a wan smile.

"That boy thinks he's all grown up, but a mother always knows. Sorry to say he's not home right now though. He left shortly after dropping off his bag." I nodded half-heartedly, my mind a bit distracted with the news. I loved Holly, but I was pretty disappointed that Liam wasn't home. I just wanted to solve things, but considering how I left him hanging I really couldn't complain.

She stepped back and motioned me inside while tossing the clay streaked tea towel over her shoulder. If the clay didn't give it away, I would have known I interrupted her mid-art when I saw that scraggly oversized blue button up shirt she had on. It was her unofficial uniform when she was being "artsy" as she called it. Liam's Mom used to be a regional manager at a bank, but about five years ago she decided she was dying inside. Her therapist suggested an outlet like art, and it completely changed everything for her. She quit her job and focused on her children and passion. It was a big decision for her family to give up her career, but it really lightened something inside of her. Liam's dad was a model mate, prioritizing his wife's happiness over insubstantial money. Plus he had a pretty good job too. That never hurt.