F o u r t e e n

He let go of her hand as he cast a lock on the door to the empty transfiguration classroom near by, twirling his wand between his fingers to aid the nerves. She walked the length of the room, arms wrapped around her as she gathered her thoughts, ready to begin.

Pulling a pre rolled cigarette from his inner jacket pocket, he pressed it to his lips, lit the end of it with his wand and took in a drag, he too also gathering his thoughts - he was ready.

She turned and looked at him from the end of the classroom. Distance was something neither of them wanted but they couldn't tell that yet.

"You first or me?" June shrugged, Sirius bowed his head, giving her the floor. He let the smoke escape his lips.

"I just... I don't understand how you're so... so.." his voice was slightly horse.

"Calm?... it's because I'm an idiot for you..." she didn't prepare for that answer. Together their wide eyed reaction was raw, not expecting those to be the first words; she looked up toward him and the words fell out like an uncontrollable spill.

Hesitant for a moment, she stretched the length of the room, took his cigarette from his fingers and took a drag herself, her brows and nose crinkled at the hot and sharp feeling but it gave her a power to focus for a moment. He watched her with his mouth hung, a new home for loose flys. She was making it impossible to keep his thoughts clean...

She gave it back and walked away, back to sitting on the closest desk to him. Taking a fresh breath now, she nodded.

"Those letters gave a chance to express myself in a way I didn't think I could. I don't tell James my feelings, my ambitions, my moods or nightly thoughts. You don't share those kind of emotions with brothers, nay any siblings. I was so stupidly open to it but it helped that I didn't know who it was. It was a real life diary. I was sceptical that they knew me but what's the point of holding back when they were giving just as much back. Those letters gave me a further purpose besides magic..." she looked up, meeting his eyes finally. "What gave you the idea to send a letter?"

He was overjoyed that their conversations were finally brought to life, his wrist taking a break from the many night writing. He finished his cigarette and stubbed it on the stone. With his eyes surveying her sweet face, he was overgrown with confidence suddenly - he wanted no more hiding.

"I'd like to say that I thought of it myself but sadly not; I overheard some girls talk about it. To be perfectly honest, I wish I never did it.... had I known that from day one back at the beginning of the new year we'd spend all this time together, I wouldn't have needed a letter as a wing man." He walked over, a mere few feet away. He wanted to hold her hand again. "Who, out of curiosity, were you hoping for.... I'm sure this isn't who you pictured in your mind?" He held his arms out and could feel the confidence draining and shrinking. Nodding, she wrapped her arms around herself again and staring at his shoes

"No... but I couldn't bring myself to imagine anyone because all I was picturing was ...you... saying those things..." She grinned suddenly, the pair chuckling at the irony. Watching her smile, Sirius took the chance and stepped closer.

"How could you not hate me... any sensible person would. Are you not angry?" Without physically seeing it, June could see the flinch of someone who was used to punishment and pain for wrong actions. June never wanted him to put that emotion or connections towards her, after all she was the first one he saw the day he come home.

"Who said I was sensible..." she stood, her voice dropped a tone lower, a slight shake for what was clearly nerves surfacing.

"You are mad" He laughed, so caught off guard by the whole affair. He was so sure he was going to be met with insult after insult, accusations and restrains to keep away from her and yet she wasn't even remotely phased, if anything she was more excited.
She laughed with him, a nod in agreement.

"Sirius, I should be mad, I should be angry and disgusted that you manipulated the private things I wrote to get closer to me... but in honesty the problem is I fell for those words and being near you is something I unknowingly need.. I wanted to meet that person behind the letters so I could find out what to do next. I wanted that person to be a fraud so I could follow the feeling I've been developing... I got lucky; It's the same person. I got both... " She wanted to turn inside out and dissolve; she hadn't expressed herself aloud and put herself in vulnerable positions such as this.

"I..." Click, the lock to the door was broken, a creak as the large oak door tried to open. Sirius grabbed June and ran to the back of the class, pulling them beside the large bookcase, pressing them flat into the shadows.
The heavy breathing of Argus Filch was like shouting down a megaphone - it could be heard for miles. June's fingers intertwined with Sirius as he gripped her hand, the foghorn footsteps clunking towards the area that were hiding in.

Before he reached them, Filch turned and returned back, the dim light of his swinging lantern faded as the door finally shut and locked again. With a heavy breaths, the two of them relaxed and looked towards each other.

"So... Miss Potter. I ask for your forgiveness ..." he took her hand and pressed it to his chest; her other hand brushing his school shirt buttons "... for your mercy ... and" his other hand slowly wrapping around her waist and pulled her towards him. They've hugged from behind; she had never been this close to his face whilst standing before "... I will be your obedient servant for all the trouble I have caused" he grinned with mischievous intentions, the pair of them chuckling together, dropping her forehead to his chest, a little somber sway beginning.

"You're far from my servant Black." She looked up again, taking her free hand to flatten his jacket a little.

"Then what I am..." he questioned, admiring her eyes and how close he got to see them.

"The man I like very much" she breathed out, the shyness swallowing her whole, her bare back exposed to predators. He was silent, speechless for once in his noisy and chaotic life. Taking her hand away from his chest, she placed it gently upon his check, stood tall and pressed her lips to his other cheek. He closed his eyes, a grin plastered from ear to the ear.

"Shit, curfew.... we need to get back. I'm sure the others are wondering if we've killed each other." June looked at the clock, not paying attention to the dazed and dizzy boy. He nodded slowly, still quiet.

His mind was racing and his stomach was doing backflips. He let the short woman lead them out of the classroom and sneak back to their common room, all the whilst keeping his eyes on her instead of watching out for obstacles. He didn't want her to disperse or fade away. He was used to the recycle of students, trying to get some emotion or feelings from them but instead it was meaningless make outs and drab limp conversations. He had a woman of real depth and knowledge, unpredictability and unlimited kindness in front of him.

And to awaken his fragile cold soul, she liked him back with no ill intensions or motive. He wouldn't believe she's liked someone such as him; Her brothers best friend. The fool and clown. The troubled and damaged. She could have someone a little more put together such as Remus or one of the other charming classmates of their year and yet as he fell into her lap like a damsel in distress, she took care of him and stole every breath he had.

Despite the fact she avoided them all until recent, he always watched her with curious intentions, never letting his mind drift too far left for the sake of his brotherly best friend.

"Shh." Her voice pulled him out of thought, his fingers dancing on her hips as the doll like woman begged the fat lady to keep quiet. The door opened and into blissful warmth they entered.