Six: Breaking The News.

Mama and Abba just stare at me.
I hate family meetings, I'm the one always in the middle.

The four of us sat down on the rug staring at the floor, avoiding eye contact. No one wants to go first.

"Sanusi" my dad calls. I could feel my younger brother tense up beside me.

"Yes?" he raises his head.
"Your mother had a few complaints about the way you take your sister's car and go joyriding sometimes without her permission. Is this true?"

He stays quiet "Sanusi answer my question" Abba says getting impatient.

He huffs "Yes, it's true".
Abba turns and looks at me "You play with this boy way too much so I'll leave the punishment to you, I want to see changes in his character".

I nod "Salis, you and I don't have anything to talk about today".

He nods. Salis never does anything, so coming to these family meetings don't concern him but Abba always wants everyone present.

"And finally, Rayhanah. You can't deny that your brothers have mentioned marriage".

I stay quiet "I need a yes or no answer and no excuses. Is there someone you want to marry?"

I wanted to say it but it was more difficult than I expected, they'd be so shocked.

"So No?" he asks.
"No!" I quickly say.

"Okay then".
"No I mean there's someone".

"Luqman?" my mum asks excitedly.
"No, Rahim".

Everyone turns and looks at me surprised, astonished, perplexed, shocked, in fact every word that explains the look on their faces right now.

Even Abba just sat there staring at me, waiting for an explanation.
"Rahim?" Ya Nabil asks.

"Yes".

"As in your friend, Rahim?" Salis asks.

"Yes".

"The same Rahim I saw yesterday?"

"Yes".

"Wow!" Sanusi exclaims.

"What do you mean by Rahim?" mama asks.
"Yes. He and I discussed it and he'll be telling his parents too".

My mum gasps "No. Larai will be your mother in law, are you aware of that fact?" she asks.
"Yes mama. But she's not the one my marrying" I say back.

She and Abba huff looking at me "At least there is someone" he says with a smile.

"You can all go" mama says looking terrified.

We all walk out.
My three brothers stand, judging me with their eyes.

"Wow!" Ya Nabil says walking away first.

"You never cease to amaze me" Sanusi walks away second.

"I need to process this news in my head, make sure I'm not hallucinating" Salis says walking out of the house with the other two.

Rahim's mother isn't all that bad, it's just that she doesn't have emotions, that's all.

I huff.

::

She hurries in almost Falling and sits next to me.
It's been a while so I decided to come see Khameela and everyone else, Rahim said he'd meet me here.

"Oh My God! Tell me what I heard from Ma is a joke" Khameela says excitedly.

"I have a feeling you'd be disappointed if I say no".

She frowns and pouts "So it's not true?"

I smile "No, it's true".
She hugs me "This is great news, I wish Khaliq was here, he'd go crazy".

"I'm sure he will".
Ma walks in and sits across us.
"Rayhanah? How are you doing?" She asks.

"I'm good".
"Are you sure? Because you don't come and sleep over like you used to, we all miss you".

I smile "I miss it too. But I promise I'll come by soon".
"Before you get married?" Khameela giggles.

"Let her be. Go and check on the food, I'm sure she's hungry, koh?" she asks looking at me.

"Definitely, I'm famished" I say taking off my head tie and veil and throwing them aside.

Ma smiles when she sees me "You and Rahim are complete opposites but sometimes the fact that you have nothing in common brings you closer. It makes the relationship work but don't be too different, okay?"

I nod "Yes, Ma".
"Good. Go and pray, I'm sure by the time you're done the food will be ready".

I stand "Use the prayer mat in my room, I'm not sure Khameelah' sis clean".

"I'm not surprised".
"I know, please help your friend change".

I giggle "Okay, I'll do my best".

::

Rahim and I walk out of the house and bump into Khalil.

I blush.
The truth is I had a major crush on Khalil, I have had it for 7years. It slowly faded but each time I see him I remember why those feelings lasted for 7years.

"Rayhanah? You're here?"

I smile/blush "Yeah. It's been a while Ya Khalil" I say hugging him. I've been doing it since I was younger but now I do it just to hold him.

PS. If you saw him you'd understand.

He hugs me back and after a few seconds I pull away so it doesn't seem awkward.
"You're leaving already?"

"Yes we are. I told Ya Nabil I'd have her home by 6pm" Rahim answers.

He laughs "I can't believe you're the one who now has a time limit with Rayhanah but I understand Nabil" He looks at him "And tell him to call me".

"Okay okay" I say excitedly.
"Let's go" Rahim says walking ahead.

"I think you should go in, the food Is still hot".

He smiles "Your love for food is still so strong".

"I don't know what to say, I'm not sure it's a compliment".

"Don't worry it is".
"Rayhanah if you don't come, wallahi I'm going to leave you here!" Rahim shouts.

"Wait!!" I shout back.
"I'm leaving!" he continues walking.

"It's good to see you" I say looking at him one last time before walking away.

Rahim just ruined our moment, killjoy.

.
.
.
.