Ten: Change.

Unedited!

I twist and turn, over and over again until I finally give up and sit up.

I look at the time and it's already 4am, it's only a few minutes to Fagr. Upon turning around I find my bed empty, the girl that should have been sleeping next to me, isn't.

So I pick up my jalabia from the couch and put it on before heading down stairs looking for Rayhanah.

I found my wife in the kitchen, by the kitchen island eating the chicken leftovers.
I just stare at her.

"What are you doing?"
She turns around and smiles at me "Just eating"

"By 4am?" I ask perplexed.
She looks at me like I'm crazy "Why do you look so surprised? It's not like you don't know".

I stare at her "I don't".

She makes an O with her mouth "I completely forgot, it was Khaliq who knew about it and not you".

"This is abnormal".
"I know right" she laughs "My brothers are always too lazy to eat alot at night so they usually eat in the middle of the night. I don't like being left out so I started joining them instead"

"Let's go back" I say turning around.
"To what? Sleep?"

I turn looking at her confused and nod.
"Come on Rahim, it's already 4am. How can we go to sleep now? Since you're not eating with me, why don't you pray. I'll join you as soon as I clear this place".

I walk out without so much as a word.
It's not easy being the least religious between your friends, it sucks but my parents raised me that way. All my cousins, aunts, uncles, from my mother's side aren't Muslim and my mum wasn't either. My dad isn't so religious too so the combo wasn't really favourable for us. Ruqayyah used Islamic school to become very religious but I've always felt it'd be better playing football with my friends than being in islamic class thinking about it but at this age all I feel is regret, serious regret.

While Rayhanah and Khaliq have been going to Islamic school since they were three. They both graduated before they were 12years and a second time a while later.

Khaliq knows about how it is for me so he doesn't ask questions or put me on the spot but Rayhanah doesn't so it gets embarrassing when anything religious comes up.

It's shameful really.

.

Rayhanah's  POV.

I lie down on the couch just staring at Rahim. He looked lost.

We decided to watch a movie since we have already had lunch and didn't have anything to do but since the movie started he has just been staring at the wall.

He has always been odd but since we lost Khaliq he has gotten alot worse.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask.

"Nothing you'll understand" he says still staring at the wall.

I raise my eyebrows, was that supposed to be an insult.
"And what does that mean exactly?"

He looks at me bored "Rayhanah I don't want your drama today".

"Drama? I'm not the one staring at the wall like I'm insane".

"Insane? You don't even know what it is I'm thinking about and you're saying I'm insane?"

I scoff and sit. "Wow. Wasn't that what I asked? But apparently it's something I'll never understand. Look Rahim, keep your negative behavior and attitude to yourself. I don't see the world as crooked and as messed up as you do so don't mess up my mood" I walk out.

Yes, here we are. Back to arguing the way we used to.

.

I huff.
I don't have a job, I don't know how to cook, I have no real hobbies so the house can be seriously boring, I don't know if it's worse with my husband because he's very boring, I feel unlucky.

My phone starts ringing and I pick it up..
"Hello baby"
"Nuraaaaaa" I say excitedly.

"What now? What happened? Did he do something to you?"
"He's extremely boring. The house is boring"

"Keep yourself busy" he suggests.
"With what? You know I have no hobbies"

"Get a job"
"It's not that easy and you're aware of that. I wish I could though"

"Well my brother was telling me he is desperately looking for a secretary, I can talk to him if you want me to"
"Yes Yes. Please do"

"Okay, the good thing is he knows you so I'm sure you'll get it"
"I hope so. You know how strict he can be"

"I know. More than anyone"
"I have to go decide what's for dinner, let's talk later"

"Bye. Love you"
"Me more"
I end the call.

I try calling Rahim but he doesn't pick up. I want to ask him what he'd like for dinner but I can't get him on the phone so I'll just have to decide myself.

::

He opens my bedroom door like the house belongs to him, although it does.

"I'm home".
"I didn't hear you come in, what about your car?"

"I had some problems on the way so I took an uber back".

"What about the car?" I ask sitting up.
"My mechanic will go pick it up".

I nod.
"My food" he walks away, probably heading to his bedroom.

I enter his room with the tray of food and keep it on his nightstand, he comes out with a towel wrapped around his waist.

"Here's your food"
He looks at the food, gawking at it.
"What?" I ask.

"What did you make the maid cook?"
"Cous Cous and liver sauce".

He raises his eyebrows "I hate cous cous".
"Are you joking? You've eaten cous cous at our house more times than I have".

"I ate it to avoid being rude. I'm not eating that".
I scoff "Is that why you're giving me attitude?"

"You should have asked what I wanted for dinner, you're not even the one cooking".

"If you had picked up your phone you'd probably be enjoying something you like and I didn't force you to eat the cous cous in our house, did I?"

He rolls his eyes "Yes. I know. Khaliq did. Just like he made me talk to you in the first place, took you to your first day at college, came over every time you got depressed, heartbroken, just like the way I had to pick you up at work or how I promised I'd be the one to break the news of his passing. He made me do all that even when I didn't want to and now since he's not here I don't have to".

"Okay. If you want to eat the food you want start calling the maid yourself to make food for you, I don't need to" I walk out.

I close my bedroom door and sit on the couch.
My brothers always said pretending words didn't hurt was always the best but hardest thing to do. But I can't deny the fact that it seriously did.

I also can't lie that I've had feelings for Rahim for more than 9years now so knowing everything he did was because of Khaliq is really hurtful and I promise just like he hurt me I'm going to hurt him too.

::