13

Anastasia was sitting in a chair, she couldn't see anything. She was tied down, blindfolded and gagged, she felt helpless. On top of that Manuel had been taken away about half an hour ago and she had no idea where he went. After they had arrived at a random stop they were both blindfolded, some time later she had heard him leaving the car. Which after that the car continued to drive to the unknown destination.

She felt scared and couldn't breath properly due to the gag, making her feel light headed. Still in her head she tried to convince herself that it was all worth it. All that mattered was that her secret stayed a secret in the end. Leonardo wouldn't find out.

At least that was what she was trying to convince herself. Deep down she knew this was all going wrong and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

Not long after she heard a door open and a pair of footsteps. "Did you miss me Ana?" Leonardo asked her, making her cringe.

"Well I certainly missed you sweetheart." She heard him say, simultaneously she could finally see something as he removed her blindfold. They were in an empty space, it was cold and the building seemed to be made out of metal mostly. Probably a warehouse she thought.

She tried to talk but only a muffled sound came out. Leonardo leaned forward and swiftly removed the gag. "Better?" He asked in a sarcastic voice, his face was so close to her face that if he came any closer their noses would be touching. He still looked the same way he did 18 years ago, only slightly paler and a little bit of a beard, more like stubbles.

"Yes" she said, trying to lean backwards to get some space, "but it would be lovely, if you would give me some space." He took a step back, looking at her with an unreadable expression. For a second she lost focus, but she quickly reminded herself that she had to be clever. No slip ups.

"You know it's almost 19 years exactly since the day I came home and you weren't there." He reminded her as he took another step back and started pacing "I looked for you, you left without a trace. I even was as desperate to call your brother. He thought I was crazy when I told him I thought you were hiding something, he told me you were just getting sick of Brazil."

Anastasia just stayed still, looking at him. She didn't have anything to say to him.

"You know, I always knew you were a good liar, my sweet Ana, but the fact that you could hide my son from me. Our son. No I never thought you would be capable of that." He said, when the words 'our son' left his lips, he stopped pacing and looked Anastasia dead in the eyes.

That was the moment she knew it was over, she sighed, looking down. This was never suppose to happen, a tear escaped her left eye as she felt like she had failed as a mother. She had done everything to protect him, even when that meant leaving him forever.

"He is closing in on us, Anastasia. We have been able to stay here for almost 2 years, but with Vadim looking for you too. You know we can't keep them both off our tail" Manuel spoke to Anastasia as she was sitting on the park bench. She looked at the sand pit where her 3 year old son Emmanuel was playing, blissfully unaware of the cruel world he had been born into.

"I know" Anastasia sighed. After she ran she had been able to stay in Marocco for a while, but after a few months Leonardo had almost discovered her. After that she had given birth and spend the first year of her son's life in France. Only to end up in the UK.

She had always been able to get away but now that Vadim was looking for her too, she was loosing. She couldn't fight on two fronts at the same time. A few days ago she had received the news that her parents had died and with all her might she had tried to keep a brave face. She didn't get to say goodbye, her parents never got to meet their grandson. She felt alienated in her own family.

"I called Vadim that I don't want to come home, but he is getting sick of all the excuses I tell him. He says he will bring me home for good." Anastasia said looking into the eyes of the man who had stood by her through all the hardships that she had faced in the past 5 years. He was like a second father to her, hence her son being named after him.

"You can try to have a quick visit, Ana. But I am afraid that Leonardo will then have no trouble discovering you if we try to flee again" Manuel spoke, feeling helpless. There was no way out, he felt like a mouse stuck in a trap.

Anastasia thought about it for a second as she began walking towards her sweet boy, maybe he could return with her to Russia. Live a life in crime, but she could try to protect him. She sighed, who was she fooling. If she took Emmanuel with her to Russia Leonardo would find out. He would take her son away and expose him to all the violence and blood this life of crime contained. No she had to save her son from that life, he deserved better than that.

"Come on Emmanuel."  She said smiling to the boy as she held his hand, walking him to her appartement with Manuel close behind them.

Later that night Anastasia had made her decision, she had to protect him. No matter the cost. "Manuel, you have to bring him to a family that will keep him safe, a normal family. You have to watch over him. Keep him safe." 

After she had cried all night, she watched as Manuel left with her son. Thinking this was the last time she would see them both, 'I love you more than anything' she thought as her son waved at her with a cute smile on his face.

Leonardo's voice brought her back to the present, "Luckily after a long search, I found my son. Now he will be returning to me." Those words shook Anastasia to her core.

"No please just leave him out of this Leonardo, he is not like us. He doesn't belong in this world. Please Leonardo." She begged. She was moving restlessly, trying to escape the robes that held her down.

"I think it is a little too late for that now darling." Leonardo said with an evil smile on his face. Seconds later the door opened again, only for 2 guards and Gustavo to walk in with a blindfolded boy. The boy was shaking, clearly scared about what was happening. He was thin, but pretty tall for an 18 year old. Anastasia immediately recognised the boy.

"Emmanuel" she whispered, as now all her thoughts were consumed by the boy standing, blindfolded, at the other end of the room.

Little did she know that miles away, her other son was witnessing the most traumatic event of his life.