05

Tris's POV
"Why haven't you killed me yet?" I ask Evelyn. If she has gone to all this trouble to kidnap me, what hasn't she killed me.

"I realized that killing you won't be the smartest move, considering the circumstances," she replies.

"What circumstances?" I ask. "And why were you going to kill me in the first place?"

She rolls her eyes. "Well, that's why you are here. I am going to explain everything to you." She says. I move over to the wall and sit down, leaning on it for support. Evelyn sits down next to me.

"First off," she starts. "Once I found out that you are carrying my grandchild, I decided not to kill you."

"Thanks," I say rolling my eyes. "Are you going to tell me why you wanted to kill me in the first place?" I ask. She nods.

"I was going to kill you to protect Tobias."

"Do not call him that. You get to call him Four," I say. "And how would you be protecting him? Killing me would ruin his life." I know it sounds self-absorbed, but it's true. Neither of us can live without the other.

"I know," she says. "But I would rather have him hate me than hate himself," she says.

"Why would he hate himself?" I ask.

"Because he is going to kill you." I stare at her. What? Tobias would never kill me.

"What are you talking about?" I demand.

"Listen," she says. "I don't know who, but someone is going to put Four in a simulation and make him kill you. I overheard some Dauntless leaders talking about it in the city. That's why I was going to kill you. I know he wouldn't be able to live if he killed you." I stare at her.

"Why do they want me dead?" I ask.

"I don't know."

I leave Evelyn and run back to the apartment. When I reach the door, I burst inside. I stand leaning on the door for a minute, panting. Tobias walks in and rushes to me. He wraps me in his arms and leads me to our bedroom.

"What happened?" he asks, setting me down on the bed. He sits down next to me. I bury my face in his chest. I feel his strong arms wrap around me.

"There is a lot I have to tell you," I say after a moment. He nods. I don't know what to tell Tobias first. I decide to talk to him about the pregnancy, then about my encounter with Evelyn. I could also tell him about Christina. Before I left her apartment she said I could.

"Well," I begin. "We need to talk about this baby," I say. He grins.

"Okay, what about it?" he says.

"First, I never got the serum from the hospital. Second, I think we should just get everything from the Dauntless infirmary instead of risking going to the city every time I need a checkup." He nods. "And third," I pause before asking my question. This is what I have been dying to know. "What do you think about this? Is it too much for you? Or are you happy?" I feel tears form behind my eyes, but I push them back.

"Tris," he says. "I am so so happy! I get to be a father! And you are going to be a mother! There has just been so much going on that I haven't had time to really think about it." I smile with relief.

"Thank God," I say. "I would not be able to do any of this with you, you know." He nods and presses his lips to mine. We kiss and all time stops. He pulls away.

"There is no one else I would want to do this with." I smile and kiss him again.

"There is more I have to talk to you about," I say pulling away.