15

Tris's POV
I knock on Zeke's door and find Tobias when he opens the door. I take one look at him and I know something is wrong. He smiles but I can see right past it; it's in his eyes. His beautiful blue eyes have a layer of an emotion I can't decipher. Fear? Anger? We stand there for a moment, gazing into each other's eyes. It's almost as if he is trying to tell me something.

"You wanna go?" I ask tentatively. Tobias just nods. I grab his hand a call over my shoulder,
"Thanks, Zeke."

I hear a mumble resembling something of a thank you. We walk down the hallway in silence. Tobias's grip on my hand falters every few seconds. I stop him.

"What's bothering you?" I ask him. He looks down.

"Nothing," he says.

"You might have been cut out for Candor," I say, smiling at the memory. "Because you are a terrible liar." A small grin finds its way onto Tobias's face. "You know you can tell me anything," I say. He nods his head.

"I'll tell you when we get home," he says. I stand on my tiptoes and give him a quick kiss.

"Okay," I whisper. "But there is a surprise for you at home," I say grinning. He nods again and we continue walking to the apartment.

Tobias's POV
A few minutes later, Tris and I stop in front of our apartment. I reach for my keys in my pocket but Tris stops me.

"Close your eyes," she says. I do as I'm told and I hear Tris open the door. She grabs my hand and leads me inside. "Okay, you can open your eyes now."

When I do, I look around the apartment. It is totally decked out in Christmas decorations. There is a Christmas tree in the living room with a few presents under it already. The couch now has red and green Christmas pillows and throw blankets. There are three stockings hung by the fireplace. One with Tris's name, one with mine, and one with River's name. The rest of the apartment has little Christmas nick-nacks all around. There are snow globes, mini Christmas trees, and a bunch of other stuff. I look at Tris and find her grinning.

"So this is what you've been doing all day," I say, cracking a smile.

"Yep," she says, popping the p.

"I've never done Christmas before," I say.

"Yeah me neither. I figured since we missed last year and have a baby on the way, we should have some experience," she says. "Look up." I do and I see a little plant hanging above our heads. Mistletoe. I smile and pull Tris towards me. I crash my lips into hers. We kiss for a long time. Though in the back of my mind, I can still her River screaming. Tris must know something is up because she pulls away and looks at me.

"Talk to me," she says. I can see fear and confusion in her eyes. I nod and bring her to the couch to sit down. I start to explain everything.

Once I am done telling Tris about my fear landscape, I let the tears I have been holding back fall. For a split second, Tris just stares at me. Then she pulls me to her. I bury my head in her chest and cry silently.

"It's okay," she coos. "You and I both know that will never happen." I try to calm down but I can't get the horrid images and sounds out of my head. Tris just holds me close, running her fingers through my hair and kissing my head. After a while, I stop crying. I pull back from Tris.

"It's okay," I say. "I'm okay now." Tris nods and gives me a kiss on the cheek.

"Want to go get ready for bed?" she asks. I nod and take her hand, leading her upstairs. We both change into our pajamas and get into bed together. Since Tris's bump has grown, she sleeps with her back to me. I wrap my arms around her and bury my face in her neck. Before sleep takes me,

I hear Tris whisper, "I love you, Tobias." I would tell her I love her too, but I had already drifted off to sleep.

Tris's POV
I wake up to a wet feeling. I look down; there is a pool of blood growing on the bed. I look around. The clock says 6:46 am. Tobias isn't in bed. There is a note on the bedside table, but I can't read it from here. Suddenly there is a sharp pain in my stomach. I scream. I try to move but the pain gets worse and more blood comes out of my abdomen. I stumble to the bathroom. Something is wrong, I think. Something is wrong with River.

"Tobias!" I scream. "Tobias!" I start to cry. I know what is happening. I'm having a miscarriage. I'm losing my baby.

"Tris!" I hear someone call, faintly. "Tris!" I jolt awake. "Hey," Tobias says. "It's okay, I'm right here." I start to cry. I grip onto Tobias to steady myself. I feel myself start having a panic attack. I start shaking and breathing heavily. "It was just a dream. You're okay," he coos.

"Ri-River's okay?" I stammer. He nods. I take deep breaths. It was just a dream, it was just a dream. Everything is okay. I still have River. I look over at the clock. It is 2:46 am. "Sorry for waking you," I say.

"It's okay, it's not your fault," he says.

Tobias leans against the headboard and holds me in his strong arms. I rest my head against his chest while he strokes my hair. Slowly but surely, I fall back asleep. Into a dreamless sleep, thankfully.

Tobias's POV
I wake up the next morning holding Tris in my arms. We both had a pretty restless night. I look down at her to find her looking back up at me.

"Hey, you're awake," I say. She nods. I take her head in my hand and bring her lips to mine. For a while, we just lie in bed together in comfortable silence.

"What do you want to do today?" she asks.

"Well, I have to go talk to Max about the leadership position, but that's about it," I say. "Don't you have a doctor's appointment today?" She nods.

"It's at 11:30. You should go to talk to Max during that, then we can come home and go through River's room," Tris says. We've only been in our new apartment for a few days. We have unpacked all the boxes except for River's room.

"You sure you don't want me to come?" I ask.

"Yeah, it's fine. It's mostly to make sure the baby is healthy and all that." I nod.

"Sounds like a plan," I say.

Tris's POV
For the rest of the morning, Tobias and I slowly get ready. We make breakfast together, waffles and some fruit. I just put syrup on mine, but Tobias puts syrup and whipped cream on his. We eat and talk. When we are done we clean up the kitchen. When it gets closer to 10:30, we shower. After, I pull on some black leggings, an oversized grey hoodie, and some sneakers. I pull my hair into a ponytail and don't even bother with makeup. Tobias wears his usual black jeans and a dark grey t-shirt. At 11:25, we say goodbye and go our separate ways; him towards Max's office, and I to the infirmary.