8~ Crossroads

I stared unwillingly at the knife in my hand.

I sat on my room floor in the dark. The only sound I could hear was the ticking of the clock beside my bed.

The ticking hands of time. I thought miserably. The knife's blade seemed to reflect light off from the moon. I could see my reflection in the clean metal. It would be a shame to ruin my mother's hard work of cleaning it after she used it.

I spent another five minutes staring at the blade. Should I do it? I don't want anyone else to suffer just because of my selfishness... I was still at a crossroad.

My door creaked open. "Kara?" Kai poked his head in. His eyes widened as he saw the knife in my palm, poised right above my heart. "Kara, please." He begged, tears filling his eyes. "You don't have to do this."

I was now crying too. There was an unexplainable pain in my heart, but not from the knife. "I don't want you to suffer." He shook his head wildly. "When have you ever made me suffer?" He didn't bother to whisper. I could hear either my mother or father walking quickly down the corridor.

"You always made me happy, especially when you laughed." Kai was ranting now. He had come into the room, no longer standing at the doorway. The knife started slipping from my hand. I sobbed silently, tears flowing down my face. I had never experienced pain like this before. I was stuck in between life and death. The only problem in life was that death might come soon anyway.

Mother came into the room. "What are you doing?" She took in the sight of my shivering on the floor.

I knew what I was going to do. Before anyone could convince me otherwise, I drove the knife into my heart.