Chapter 3

Coyote Life Ch. 3

Luna's P.O.V.

Malia and I stopped by our lockers to get our books, and I groaned at what next class we had. Math.

Malia walked in and I stopped at the door and looked around before backing out. I didn't get very far because Stiles grabbed my arm.

"I hate math!" I whined, digging my feet into the floor to try and stop moving, but it didn't work. "It's pointless."

"It's school." Stiles said "School is important. Math is essential." I took a set in front of Malia and Stiles sat behind her.

"To what?"

"Knowing how much to tip at a restaurant."

Lydia plopped down in a desk next to me and turns towards me. "And less important things, like medicine, economics, engineering." She gave Stiles a harsh look.

"Tipping." Stiles confirmed.

"All right, volunteers to the board. Lydia, Diego, Luna." Our math teacher said while pointing us out.

"Um, I didn't volunteer." I told her.

"You did now. To the board." I turned to look at Malia and she gave me a thumbs up, then I growled at her. I went up to the board and looked at the problem confused.

"I thought I gave you my notes. Didn't you study them?" Lydia asked. I sighed,

"I really didn't understand them." Lydia turned and looked behind her to see if the teacher was looking, then back to me,

"X=2" I gave her a thankful look, "And sweetheart," I turned to look back at her, "Put away the claws." I looked at my hand alarmed and there were my claws sticking out.

~Lacrosse Tryouts~

Kira, Malia and I all sat down on the bleachers watching tryouts. I had out my math book out trying to figure it out when I smelt something off.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked Kira.

"Me? Nothing." Kira says clutching the net of the lacrosse stick in her hands. I quickly put my math book in my bag.

"You reek of anxiety." I told her.

"And it's distracting." Malia added.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Scott and I had this thing happen. But it wasn't much of a thing. And now I'm starting to think it never was anything at all."

"What do you want it to be?" Malia questioned.

"More." Kira sighed laying her chin down on the net. We all looked back at the field just in time to see Stiles throw the ball into the catcher's net. Everyone on the team laughed, except of course Scott and Stiles.

Stiles glared at the new kid, who stood behind him in line as he walks back towards Scott. The new kid steps forward and picks up the ball in his net.

"You know, maybe he's only good in goal." I heard Stiles say to Scott. "You know just totally useless on the rest of the field."

The freshmen takes a few steps forward and launches the ball into the net, it sails past the goalie and scoring a goal. I scowl at him 'probably just showing off because he's new' I thought. I was helping Malia with history, which is practically the only subject I am good at, when I looked up I see Stiles and Scott with long goal sticks in their hands.

The freshmen was up and went fast against Stiles making him fall over and Scott went after him but the freshmen was quicker and made the shot.

"That was luck!" Malia stands up and shouts.

"Oh, no, Malia. Don't get involved." Stiles whined.

"Do-over." She says to Coach and I stand up also.

"Sweetheart, there's no do-overs. This is practice." Coach tells her.

"Ten bucks on Scott and Stiles!" I yelled.

"And there's Luna." Scott told Stiles.

"I'll take that action." Coach says immediately. "Hey, Liam! Get back in there." 

Malia and I sat back down on the bleachers watching what was going to happen next. Liam digs his feet in the ground and takes off rushing towards Scott and Stiles. Stiles ends up jumping to try and block but Liam dodged it. Scott gets in position and ends up ramming into Liam in the shoulder knocking him back and landing wrong on his leg. I immediately felt some guilt because it wouldn't of happened if I wouldn't have taken a bet with Coach.

Scott and Stiles take Liam off the field and towards the school. I was currently playing with the lacrosse stick Kira had sat down and I was wondering how a tiny little ball could stay in the net.

"You guys take a lap." Coach orders "Run around..start running around the field! Stupid!" He screams in anger picking up one of the balls and throwing it towards the stands. I saw the ball coming towards Malia and I had an instinct to protect her so I moved the lacrosse stick in front of her face and caught the ball. Coach covers his mouth.

"Oh!" I'm guessing he didn't mean to throw it at us, but I guess he was also shocked that I caught it. "Wow! Nice catch. Throw it back!" I looked at Malia and she shrugged her shoulders, so I stood up and threw it, but it went a little to far and hit some random kid in the face.

"Ha! Way to catch the ball with your face Greenburg." Coach yelled at the kid "She's my new favorite! Someone ask her if she's ever played lacrosse."

~Stiles' House~

Stiles, Malia and I were studying and I had my highlighters out.

"What's with the markers?" Stiles asked.

"It helps me organize where I'm at. Green means I understand, yellow means I need to work on it more and red means I don't know at all." I told him showing my markers one by one. "I'm mostly using red." Stiles looks at his board and then back to me and I smell a protective scent coming from him. I'm guessing Malia did too because she gave him a small smile and a kiss.

I groaned, "Studying guys. Remember?" They pulled apart, and Stiles looks down at the notes I'm using.

"Are these Lydia's notes?" Stiles asked, Malia looks over at the notes too.

"No wonder you're also failing math."

"Wait, hold on. You said these were Lydia's?" 

"Yeah, they're horrible notes." I told him.

"It's because they're not notes, it looks like some sort of code." Stiles tells us. I looked at Malia and I see a terrified expression on her face and I pull her closer to me protectively, not aware at that moment that my eyes flickered to red.