Mind Your P's & Q's

PART 4: PASADENA, CA

PATTHEW'S STORY

Sunday, September 16th. That afternoon.

Dad decided to skip church because they came home on a late Sunday morning.

Matt and I woke up and decided to just chill. I tried to contact Gracie through the phone and Facebook, but she wasn't answering. Mom and dad took me and Matt to Denny's for brunch.

They were very lovey-dovey toward each other for the whole entire brunch. I remembered the day before, they were pissed at Matt for ruining his game, and then they were happier than usual, and I thought I knew why....

Eeeewww.

"Boys, this is your dad's and my twentieth anniversary!!" Mom happily shouted to us, and diners nearby overheard and they all congratulated them with applause, smiles, handshakes and hugs.

After brunch, we all came back home and did our own thing. Mom and dad stayed in their bedroom all day. Matt and I took Mercy. Gracie left her gifts in the car. Matt didn't notice and drove. He drove me to bro's, and I don't see the family's minivan, Mrs. Hosburg's Volkswagen or Lauri's car.

Matt and I waited in Mercy, and I tried to contact bro too. He went to voicemail. Bro and Gracie weren't available, and I knew Shortcake was in church. I asked Matt to take me home. He drove off to meet with the popular crowd after he took me back home. I stayed home and continued chilling.

That evening.

I sat outside after dinner and stared at the stars. I waited for Matt to bring back Mercy. Here they were. He got out and gave me the keys.

"Natalie saw the gifts in the back," he said.

"What did you say?" I asked just in case Natalie asked about them.

"I told her my little bro went on a date with someone he knows. I hadn't spilled."

I nodded. "Good. Now, give me the keys." He did.

"'Welcome, little bro." He patted me and went inside with his own key.

I rode to Gracie's house to give her her gifts. I knocked on the door. Ms. Steward was at the door. She didn't seem happy to see me. I didn't know if Gracie told her.

Before I'd even said a word, she calmly took the gifts. "I think you two are better off as friends."

She didn't seem like herself. Not happy, not excited, not screaming. Not even upset. Her face was blank. I just said "Okay."

"I'll give these to her. Thank you for stopping by." She slowly closed the door in front of me. I walked back to Mercy to drive back home, wondering why was she so calm.

Monday, September 17th. (Yesterday).

Because it was a Hebrew holiday, school was closed. Matt, dad and I celebrated Rosh Hashanah with mom. Mom celebrated the holiday in her synagogue with her side of the family after her anniversary with dad in the evening. We actually do this every year, because dad wants us to still embrace our Hebrew side of the family, even after me and Matt choose not to be Hebrew.

Tuesday, September 18th

Now: This morning.

I woke up this morning to get ready for another Day A. I'm in Geometry Honors with bro. Our last period together was gym. We played dodgeball and won against the hockey and soccer captains, thrice (3x). I thank our baseball skills for that victory.