✎ᝰ°:. *₊𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄ᝰ°:. *₊

1|𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐀𝐍 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋

DARAJA

The mirror is my worst enemy, perhaps is not the mirror itself but the way I look in it, or more precisely how I perceive myself, every time is different, every day I am someone different according to my mirror, to my sight.

I know that feeling upset at objects, it's pointless but you can't really control how you feel.

It's like my body reflects my whole existence, every little detail that I don't like is there because I did something wrong, because I didn't do enough, because I let myself go.

When I was small I used to enjoy observing myself in the mirror, but back then it was in admiration, almost out of vanity.

My deep brown skin was beautiful my hair was often braided in cute hairstyles, and when they weren't and my natural hair was left free, my mom would style it in a simplistic but pretty way, I used to love me so much, but now I don't.

Oh, how I miss my mother and my father. I used to get told I looked like my mother, and I still remember her face, she was so beautiful, the type of unique beauty only a West African has. She was Nigerian just like my father, How I wish they were still here with me.

My parents died in a car accident when I was only seven. Some spoiled teenage boy was driving way above the speed limit, he was also highly intoxicated and ended up killing himself and my parents.

My parents didn't have anyone, so I was adopted by a rich family who treated me as theirs. They didn't know much about my skin or my hair but they tried.

Sometimes they failed sometimes they succeeded.

They never stopped trying, and I am endlessly grateful for it.

They struggled mostly with my hair, and after many failed attempts they simply started sending me to a black-owned hair salon.

The owner kindly thought my adoptive mother the basics, and I learned thanks to her how to maintain my hair, what products to use, and how to style it, so it wasn't a total disaster.

My adoptive parents were always there for me, and always loved me and cared for me but not my adoptive sister.

She is the total opposite of me, we are now both 20 and studying at some of the most prestigious universities out there.

She is studying law I am studying business. I was always her shadow, she is extremely pretty, confident, full of friends that love her and has a long history of dates and boyfriends.