19 - bye, son

The day had finally come, the day she had been dreading for weeks.

  Mr. Price was leaving.

  Ali played with the hem of her shirt anxiously and watched as the towering man smiled at his employees. He always wore an intimidating suit, like a true businessman, while managing to look genuinely friendly as well.

  "Thank you all for your hard work, and as always, I'm very pleased with this store's continuous success. Great job," Mr. Price announced brightly before turning to the red-headed assistant manager. "It's been great seeing you again, Marina. Expect big things to come your way the next time I visit."

Marina's eyes widened in excitement. "Really, Sir? You don't mean..."

"Manager Marina. How does that sound to you?"

"Like heaven, Sir!" she exclaimed, clutching her hands together dreamily, and he smiled in amusement.

"Until then," Mr. Price said, shaking her hand as a farewell.

Marina then walked off, teary-eyed, and sighed happily as she leaned on Brady's cash register. He tried to push her off, but she ignored him. "Did you hear what Mr. Price said to me, Brady? I feel like my heart's going to explode!"

"You act like he proposed to you," Brady scoffed, and she glared at him.

  "In a strictly professional way, he kind of did!"

  "In a strictly professional way, you're kind of delusional!" Brady quipped, but before she could respond, his eyes caught sight of something behind her. He quickly turned her around. "Look! Mr. Price is talking to Ali and Sawyer."

Ali, now gripping the hem of her shirt, briefly glanced over at her two nosy coworkers from across the store. They offered her supportive smiles before she turned back to the businessman before her.

  "Marina has told me all about you, Ali," Mr. Price said with a warm smile, but something told her he didn't just mean that from a professional standpoint. "She's told me you're an exceptional worker in both customer service and at the cash register, even with your extra shifts. I'm glad to have you on the team."

"Thank you, Mr. Price. That means a lot," she said, a light shade of pink coloring her cheeks.

"Of course," he nodded before his eyes met with his younger lookalike. His kind smile seemed to falter upon looking at him, while his son stared at him blankly.

Ali looked up at Sawyer, who stood beside her with his hands deep in his pockets, and wondered what thoughts were floating across his mind. She felt an urge to reach for his hand, to hold it tightly, but she restrained herself.

Mr. Price cleared his throat. "I have to admit, I was a bit surprised to hear about your friendship with my son."

Although he was speaking to Ali, his eyes never left Sawyer's, and she felt extremely out of place. She rubbed her hands as she looked between them. "Um, yeah, we're good friends."

"Hm," Mr. Price rumbled, then raised an eyebrow at him. "Is that true, son?"

"Yes," Sawyer replied instantly, and his father narrowed his eyes at him. His lack of hesitation was suspicious, but his father knew it was impossible to tell if he was lying or not. Even Ali was skeptical, or perhaps that was simply her own insecurities talking.

"Well, keep up the great work, Ali," Mr. Price said, meeting her eyes again and tossing her a smile. When he turned to his son, his smile remained this time, yet it still lacked sincerity. "Bye, son."

The two of them watched silently as he left the store. Ali nibbled on the inside of her cheek, her nerves going haywire, while Sawyer gazed at the entrance like he still felt his father's presence gnawing at him.

  Brady's words from weeks ago, before their deal, echoed in her mind like a broken record. "After all, Sawyer Price isn't the type of person to make friends or hang out with anyone for long periods of time. He probably won't talk to you again unless he's forced to."

She felt her heart clench. With his father gone, did he no longer need her?

"Alice," a voice called, but she could barely hear them. Then, ever so gently, something touched her hand, and she blinked, returning to reality. "Alice, are you okay?"

Ali looked up at him, and her eyes slowly trailed down to his hand on hers. When he was about to pull away, she faced him fully and tightened her grip on his hand. He felt the urgency in her touch; his eyes hastily flickered down to look at her emotional orbs.

"Sawyer," she murmured quietly, her voice almost fearful. "I need to know..."

He held his breath, trying to slow his turbulent heartbeat. Her tone was so timid, yet so tender at the same time.

"Since your dad is gone, there's no need for our deal anymore. So does that mean we're not—or you don't really...need me?" Ali questioned, gazing up at his face with an intensity and softness that made him lose all composure.

Sawyer gulped, using everything in him to mask his vulnerability, and looked down at their hands. Deal or not, he still felt inclined to tell her the truth. "No. I still need you, Alice. I... really need you."

Her face immediately brightened, like fireworks igniting the sky, and he couldn't help but admire it. She squeezed his hand, wearing perhaps her biggest smile yet. "Thank God."

A small smile crept onto his face at that.