Chapter Two

Unsurprisingly, the second of disrespect quickly broke out into a brawl. With the pair in the middle of the room and blocking her way to the door, Y/n quickly decided to hang at the back of the store for things to die down. She didn't even need to look at the calm worker at the bar to know that these kinds of things were common.

The young man shoves the coins into his pocket, earning another earful of taunting from the man that's still digging his head into the plate. However, the man's feeling of superiority does not last long. The young man's fingers wrap around a fork and none of the watching eyes bother to warn the unsuspecting loser. Once he realizes it, it's too late. The young man lurches up and lodges the fork into the man's face in one fluid motion. It stabs through his cheek, and the man's eyes widen as a scream rips through his mouth. "You damn brat-!"

He doesn't have a moment longer to do anything as the young man plants a swift punch to his neck. The man is knocked out before he hits the ground. The tavern falls silent for just a moment, then the spectacle is over and things continue as usual.

The young man bends over the loser's body and stifles a fist through his pockets and bag in search of any valuables. His brisk movements are performed with obvious practice immediately prove to be fruitful. In addition to the shoes on the man's feet, he scores on another handful of coins and a cheap ring off of the man's finger. Only when the young man's done and plopped back in his chair, does Y/n peel herself off of the wall and approach.

It's not uncommon for others to search unconscious people after the winner has taken their share. So, the young man only turns his gaze up from his ruined meal when Y/n dangles something in front of him. It's the handkerchief that she pulled out of the loser's inner coat pocket. When the young man doesn't take it, she places the worn light blue fabric on the table and nods to the young man as she moves to take her leave. "You should wipe your face."

The cool night air feels good on Y/n's skin as she steps out of the chess tavern. With a meal in her belly and time dragging deeper into the night, she naturally melts into a smile. More than anything, she longs for her bed, but staring up at the stars as she navigates the way back home isn't bad either.

A good ways away from the tavern, Y/n finds her mind slipping back to the young man that she saw. He is younger than most that frequent the taverns, though probably around the same age as her. Despite him being accustomed to the ways of the streets, his clothes were neat and his button down shirt was still a nice pink. Even the straps of his suspenders were hardly worn. He has the toughness of the poor but the untouchable air of the rich. It's hard to say what basket he would fit into. Either way, the girls must be all over him. After all, his face wasn't nearly half bad.

A group of particularly rowdy voices turn the corner and from their numbers and the intensity of their slurring, Y/n immediately crosses the road, hoping to go unnoticed by them. A few of their heads pass over her form as she does, but none of them try to get a better look at her.

Just as she moves to turn a corner, the wide frame of a grumbling man stumbles out of the shadows. In a drunken surprise, the man reaches out and grabs hold of Y/n's shoulders, balancing his weight and drawing Y/n close enough to his tubby chest for her to smell the putrid alcohol on his breath. The man coughs in Y/n's face and she immediately holds her breath while swatting the man off of her. He turns his head and releases his hold of her shoulders, only to quickly snatch her wrist. "Get off!" Y/n's voice is stern as she rips herself from his grip.

"Wait, girlie~ Come spend some uh, some time with old man Dario!"

Y/n doesn't even give him the time of day. Despite her desire to conserve her hard earned calories, Y/n pumps her legs beneath her bolting down the street and through the night. She dodges by other passerby's and the drunk man is left far behind. A few boys call out to her asking what she stole, but no one follows. She makes it to her run-down apartment safely and without a second thought, crashes onto her stiff bed.

As usual, her night of sleep ends with a blink and at dawn, she's up and running to her job.

TO BE CONTINUED...