Chapter Four

"Why don't you go up stairs and fix your hair? I'll watch the shop." Y/n gives Taylor a light smile laced with a bit of guilt. She found out that Taylor has a fear of spiders about a year ago, but maybe she shouldn't have used this way to shut her up. Taylor calms down and Y/n manages to bring a smile to the well-off girl's face. "You gotta go and come back quick so you can talk to the blond guy over there, right?"

"Oh my god!" Taylor's hands fly to her frazzled hair and she practically bounces on the balls of her feet. "You're exactly right! I'll be right back!" With that, she rushes upstairs, but from past experience, Y/n can tell that Taylor won't be back for a least fifteen minutes.

Just as Y/n is about to finish putting the last couple of books away on the shelves, a form appears beside her. "Miss?" The word slips through the blond young man's curved lips. Y/n was caught crouching low to reach a bottom shelf, meaning that the young man looms even higher above her. Trapped beneath his golden brown gaze, nerves swarm in Y/n's body. It's only when he waves a book in the air does she realize that he's even holding one. "How much would this be?"

"Ah, yes sir," Y/n quickly places down the books she has yet to put away to receive the volume from the young man as he hands it to her. It's a book written by a young millionaire from overseas about the path to building his fortune and what he's learned through the operation of his businesses. Some of it is misleading, but if studied with a critical eye, it can be quite an insightful read. "This will be 240 pieces*." Even when she looks up from the book, his eyes are still on her. "Though, if you're willing to wait for the young lady from before, she might give you a discount."

"But you won't?" He doesn't touch her, but it's as if he has her pinned against the bookshelf. Attractive men are dangerous.

"I won't." A small smile comes to Y/n's lips through her nerves. She's sure countless women have fallen or will fall victim to his good looks. "Unfortunately, I'm just a worker here so the best I can do for you is ring up your book and wish you a blessed day."

"How unfortunate." The young man doesn't seem disappointed in the slightest as he follows Y/n to the register with his hands stuffed in his pockets. He thought she looked familiar when he saw her a few nights ago, but he didn't think that she would be working in such a nice area. Even he can only afford to drop by this store every now and then when he gets a carriage ride from his schoolmate to pick up his father's medicine. There's no way this girl with dull skin and sunken cheeks can afford a carriage ride everyday, so could it be that she walks four or five hours just to get to and from work? The woman before him smiles lightly as she records the name of the book and the date of purchase. Could she perhaps be satisfied with her life? He leans across the counter as she finishes adding her signature to the document. "What about when you're off work? Do you think there's anything you could do for me then?"

The man must have seen the surprise on Y/n's face because with a chuckle, he catches her hand lightly and places the correct amount of coins in her palm. His fingers linger a moment longer on her skin before he grabs his book and heads for the exit. "If you think of something," he looks over his shoulder with an enamoring smirk. "Come find me at the chess tavern. I'll be there again tonight."

The bell on the door jungles as the door shut behind him. "Wow." Back in modern time, Y/n had gotten hit on before, but (excluding drunk men twice her age) this is the first time for her in the 19th century. It leaves her with a tingly feeling. "Taylor is gonna freak out once I tell her."

· ─────── · ☆ · ─────── ·

Y/n debated whether she should go to the chess tavern today or not, the whole two hours that she was jogging home. Of course she was interested in the guy, his face is great and he has an air of mystery that she just can't get out of her mind. Plus, he might be rich, or at least more rich than she is. But would going so quickly after being invited make her seem easy? Or if she doesn't go today, what if he loses interest in her? Or if she doesn't ever see him again? Y/n slaps her own cheeks and calms down. All she is doing is meeting a guy. If it goes well, it goes well. If it doesn't, it doesn't. She doesn't have to freak out about it.

When Y/n finally gets to the chess tavern, she goes straight inside. To her delight, a familiar head of blond hair is seated alone at a table for two in the shadows of the establishment. Before she can say anything, his golden brown eyes lift up to meet hers and a small smile comes to his lips. "You came."

Y/n's fingers fumble with the stiff fabric of her cloak as she quickly meets him at the table, her heart thumping lightly in her chest. "As did you."

The young man stands up from his seat and pulls out the chair opposite him. If this gesture wasn't enough, he cooly slips his grip around Y/n's fingertips and places a kiss on her knuckles. Hot embarrassment floods through her system and with several pairs of eyes on her and her mind blank, she plops into her seat. The young man pushes in her chair for her and a dumb smile rises to her cheeks which she tries to hide with the palm of her hand. "Thank you."

TO BE CONTINUED...