Chapter Ten

"JoJo?"

The eyes that stare at Jonathan tear into something beyond him. She's not looking at the man in front of her. She's peering into what he will become. The supernatural strength he will attain. The suffering he'll go through. And the death he will meet, leaving his wife and child behind. More than that, she's freezing in awe at the man who is his fated enemy. The young man that suffered through his father's abuse before being left alone with death, clinging only to an obsession with power to survive. The young man whose defeat Y/n took joy in as she watched the two dimensional character from behind a screen. The man who the Joestars will be out to kill for generations. Dio. Is that really the end that that kind young man must meet?

"Ahh..." Y/n stumbles onto her feet, her mind swirling. The book that had fallen on her lap gets knocked to the floor. As if JoJo wasn't even standing in front of her, she falls to her knees, her fingers fumbling for the volume.

It's wrong. Wrong. Wrong! The distant look in Y/n's eyes triggers an odd reaction in JoJo. He wants to run.

The sudden urge knocks JoJo's leg back into the leg of the table. A cup of hot tea that Taylor no doubt placed for Y/n comes crashing down onto the floor. It shatters with a screech, the hot liquid searing Y/n's skin as shards of the fine china fly around her. "Ahh..." the small noise slips out of her again. The stinging pain clawing across her wrist is nothing compared to the ache of her sudden realization. I'm not just in the 19th century. Her skin splits and a dark red drips onto the hard wood floors as she grips the broken shards. I'm in a fucking anime. "Ahh," she repeats.

"It's hurts."

· ─────── · ☆ · ─────── ·

"I apologize for my son's behavior. I never expected he would cause this much trouble at a bookstore." The man sighs deeply as he apologizes for what must be the fifth time. When he and Taylor arrived at the scene, all they saw was Y/n bleeding on her knees and JoJo standing over her with a guilty expression. "He's never been the brightest, but I thought that he had a strong heart. It seems he still has a long way to go."

Taylor shakes her head. JoJo may be energetic, but it's hard to believe that it's completely his fault. "Your son seems kind. I could tell he was already regretting what happened when he left to go back to the carriage," Taylor explains as she hands the man a copy of his purchase as well as a tally of the price. "Actually, I think this had more to do with our Y/n. She's been a little out of it lately..." Taylor can't help but glance at the stairs leading to her living space. She sent Y/n up there and ordered her not to come back down until she calmed down and finished dressing her wounds. "It may not be my place, but may I make a request?"

"After all of the trouble my son and I have caused, it's the least I can do."

Taylor lowers her voice. She can't help but feel that Y/n will regret her decision of staying away from Dio. If possible, she'd like to give her friend one last chance. "So Y/n got a letter from a young man named Dio and..."

· ─────── · ☆ · ─────── ·

Y/n flexes her fingers. The joints creak beneath the bandages like misaligned gears. It took half an hour to get her mind together. The world she thought was real is actually an anime and the man she started to fall for is the villain that will terrorize it. The idea of doing nothing at all feels terribly wrong, leaving Y/n with two choices. One, prevent Dio from going down the path of evil. Or two, help kill him before he gets too powerful. The thought alone causes nausea to swirl around her stomach.

To her luck, and perhaps the power of anime, George Joestar is still there by the time Y/n stills her will to venture downstairs.

"Ah, before I leave," the man's voice sounds over the store. "Do you happen to know where I can find sone respectable young ladies that would take a job as a maid away from home on a late notice?"

Taylor thinks for a moment before grabbing a pen and a sheet of paper. "I heard the baker down the street has too many daughters to handle. Oh! And the old factory down by Bess's might be good. I'll write down their addresses."

"Excuse my intruding, sir," Y/n slips next to Taylor's side who pauses in her writing. Y/n had expected her to be a little more surprised by the action, but there is nothing but warmth in her eyes. "Please hire me as the maid. I don't need much pay and I'll never cause any problems. I'll even help the young master with his studying and manners. I won't ask for any benefits or days off, but please allow me to work for you until the young masters leave the mansion."

"Y/n..." Taylor's widened eyes curl into a smile and she quickly wraps her arm around her friend's waist. "Please consider hiring my top employee, sir! She is extremely knowledgeable and arrives on time everyday despite living so far away. She's a hard worker that's passionate about what she does and even sees the good in someone like me who can be a little more than selfish at times."

Before Y/n had come down, Taylor had begged George Joestar request that Y/n help deliver the books to the mansion herself. Taylor had explained that she thought Y/n would refuse if she were the one to ask and that she would never ask for herself. Given the situation, Y/n could have begged to be adopted, or for him to not adopt Dio, but she instead begged to leave her current life behind and become a maid. The pair of girls are rather admirable. Perhaps, having such a figure would set a good example for a rowdy pair of teenage boys.

George Joestar smiles. "Okay Miss Y/n. You're hired."

TO BE CONTINUED...