Lost Love

3 years. It'd been 3 years. And I was still not over it.

3 years ago my life was perfect. I was graduating with the love of my life and I was happy. Until he got accepted into a university in California. But I wanted to stay in Toronto. 

I told him to go. Go and have fun, and go to parties, and move on from me. But somehow, I didn't believe that he did anything I asked him to. It'd been 3 years since I saw him, and today he was coming back, for the first time in 3 years.

It wasn't until today that I realized I never stopped loving him. All I was thinking about is us, what we used to be. I just missed him.

"Hey, Richelle!" my roommate, Amy, yelled as she came into our apartment.

"Hi," I said sadly. Hopefully she doesn't notice my mood, I thought stupidly.

"What's wrong?" she asked, sensing that I was not feeling 100%. Sometimes she could be more intuitive than I gave her credit for. She pouted her lips and put her hands on her hips, giving me a knowing expression.

"Look at the caption under today." I said plainly, crossing my legs under my bed covers. I was completely miserable; it was torchure knowing that he was here... and knowing that there was nothing I could do to get him to come back. He probably didn't even like me anymore, let alone love me.

"Oh." Her face fell when she looked next to the bed to where I'd gestured.

The caption on our shared calendar simply said 'He's coming back,' but that was enough context for my best friend. I'd told her a lot about it.

"So he's coming back today?" she asked.

"He's already here," I said solemnly. I frowned, fighting the urge to bury my face in my pillow and curl up to avoid the day while hoping that tomorrow would be completely different.

"I'm really sorry, Richie. Is there anything I can do?" Amy was a kind soul, always searching for ways to help and nurture other people, no matter what the situation was. Even if the situation was crazy.

"Shut the door and lock it please." I just had this weird feeling that I couldn't shake, that he would come and find me here.

"Will do." We shared a smile for the first time all night and she got up, closing the wooden door with a gentle noise.

"Thanks." I wasn't going to lie, it made me feel a little better knowing that nothing could change tonight.

——————

"Hey everybody!" my other roommates, Emily and Riley yelled as they came in. They were sisters, blonde and happy.

"Hi!" Amy replied.

"Hey," I say somberly. They won't notice.

"What's wrong?" Emmy asked. Crap. They noticed.

"Look at the calendar," Shelby told them. I silently thanked her for speaking so that I didn't have to.

"Oh," Emmy and Riley said in unison as they noticed the red handwriting. I'd marked the day because I was still completely infatuated with him, but they didn't have to know that.

"Yeah," I mumbled. We all sat in silence for the next couple of minutes.

——————

"Right, that's enough moping." Emily finally said, breaking the unnerving silence between us. Usually everyone had something to say. "Let's watch a movie!" They always knew what to do to make me feel better. That was what best friends were for. She grabbed the remote off the coffee table and started to turn on the TV.

No sooner then she'd turned on the TV, the door opened. I knew who was there before I even saw his face.

He stared at me with enough love in his eyes to move the mountains, and ran at me with enough heartache in his eyes to bruise the world. We collided in a deep embrace with enough force to crack the earth in half.

"I love you," we said at the same time.

He gestured for me to follow him outside the room. I looked back at my friends' beaming faces before the took my hand and lead me outside.

We walked through the courtyard of the apartment, and it was like nothing had changed. The conversation was flowing, and when we hugged, it was like we fit perfectly together. We gelled, just like we used to.

I'd learned that distance couldn't affect love.

Love didn't hinder by time.

And there was nothing that love couldn't overcome.

——————

Author's note:
This is my first story, and I hope that everyone who reads it loves it as much as I do.
Thanks for reading it!

*Future me: please don't get discouraged by how bad this is lol, my more recent ones are much longer and better written I promise :)*