pink letter

I sighed opening another letter,

"(Y/n), I'm so sorry"

Was written on the sticky note, same as last weeks. I pulled the 2,000$ out of the envelope and put it on the counter.

Since our fight a year ago Ivo has sent me 2,000$ every 2 weeks trying to get me to forgive him. I've not spent any of his money, I always hid it away in my dresser drawer.

My heart ached every time I got a letter from him, a new way to say "I'm sorry" everytime I opened it. And in all honesty I did forgive him, I wanted to run into his arms and have him kiss me till we were both breathless, but I can't trust him.

I pulled out a loose piece of paper and a pen and began writing.

"Dearest Ivo Robotnik,

Thank you for your letters, I think about you almost every day and it pains me to say I'm moving. By the time this letter reaches you I will be gone. This town will not even have a me sized hole in it, it will be like I Never Even Existed.

Always yours,

(Y/n)"

I folded it carefully and put it into a light pink envelope with a lavender taped to it.

I looked at my almost empty house. All of the things I wanted were packed in my car already, the rest I was giving to the town for an estate sale.

I gathered all of Ivo's letters and put them in a backpack, $104000.

I've already bought a house on the other side of the state so I would be far away from Ivo.

Grabbing my keys and purse, the pink letter, and the backpack full of money I walked out of my house for the last time.

I felt a sense of melancholy as I got in my car and pulled out of the long driveway.

I slipped the letter into my mailbox and put the red flag up. Sighing, I pulled off.

I drove through town, a low slow song playing on my radio.

I grew up here and now I'm just leaving. I've not said goodbye, I will be a memory, a ghost.

As I exited on to the highway and looked at my now faded town in the rerveiw I felt a tightness in my chest.

I was free.