Prologue

Saw and Jyn had arrived at the meeting with other comrades on tow. The Alliance had scheduled a conference to discuss matters of defeating the empire. Jyn had never much cared for these meetings but was required to go since she was young.

Saw approached the meeting table. His and Bail Organa's eyes clashing. Jyn copied him and glared playfully at the princess across the table. The two didn't much get along but they were more or less friends.

"You can play with Leia if you want," Saw told Jyn.

Jyn looked over to where the little princess stood next to her father. "She doesn't like me much." He raised his eyebrows slightly and the meeting began. 

It began in a civil manner, as always, but ended up with screaming matches between Bail and Saw. At this point, Leia and Jyn left the table to let their eardrums rest.

Someone ran through the door in a panic, causing everyone to look at him. "It's the empire."

Those words had enough power for people to scatter and smash technology that had important information. Everyone leapt to get away.

Voices could be heard, scrambling their speech. One was ordering for them to 'Find the Erso girl!'. Jyn gasped and ran.

She ran into a room. The door opened for a split second and Jyn ducked behind a desk. It shut again and she could hear panting. She peeked out of her hiding spot, a boy, about 13, leaned against the door heaving.

She crawled out and caught his attention. He jumped slightly but she put a finger to her lips. She motioned for him to help her move a bookcase. He moved to help her and they pushed it in front of the door.

"You're the one they're looking for aren't you?" he asked in a Festian accent.

"Yes. Can you help me?"

He looked like he was considering it and Jyn panicked for a second.

"If you want to escape," said a different voice. "You have to go through the secret passage."

Jyn and the boy turned toward the voice of Princess Leia. A loud banging came from the door.

"I'll hold them off," Cassian said. "You two go." Leia grabbed Jyn's hand and pulled her through the door. As it closed, the bookcase fell on top of Cassian, knocking him out. Deathtroopers came in, speaking to each other in scrambled code.

Leia and Jyn ended up outside the palace, where others were fleeing. Leia gave Jyn a small box. Alderaan was inscribed on the top.

"I meant to give it to you earlier, take it. Get out of here. I'll meet you there someday."

"Thank you, Princess," Jyn said, looking at the inscription.

"Go!" Jyn turned and ran to the trains. She caught one and it sped across the ground. A man turned her around by the collar. She remembered him. He was the same man who had ordered her mother to be killed.

"Let me go!" Jyn cried.

"Never!" Krennic yelled at her, pushing her closer to the open window. Her head was dangling out and Krennic smiled devilishly. She kneed him in the crotch and slipped under him. 

While he was keeled over, she pushed him out of the window into the water below. The momentum threw her off balance, and she fell headfirst onto a platform.

"Child, what's your name?" a voice asked. The girl sat there, unable to recall her name or any events.

"I don't know," she answered.

"Kestrel," they said. "I will call you Kestrel."