Chapter Two

Much to his annoyance, this nauseous feeling that's been plaguing Merton since yesterday hasn't disappeared. Although it wasn't as bad this morning before he left for work today. It's almost like it decided it wanted to kick right back up just as he's two hours into his first shift of the day at the bookstore.

Leaning against the wall in the back room, he screws his eyes shut, trying to will the pain in his stomach to just go away. And to push away the urge to vomit.

Fuck, he's regretting not just calling in sick this morning. But to be fair, he didn't know that this feeling would kick right back in again. He woke up relatively fine this morning, so he thought he'd be okay for the rest of the day.

Turns out he was wrong. Life certainly is unfair....

"You okay?"

Merton turns, finding his co-worker and friend, Castiel Winchester standing in the doorway watching him in concern.

Sighing, Merton shakes his head, looking away from the older omega. "I... I don't know, Cas." He sighs. "I think I may have caught a stomach bug."

He barely believes a word that's coming out of his mouth. He's beginning to think that I it's not just some stupid stomach bug, and it's definitely not just something he ate. He's afraid that what's wrong, is that he's pregnant, and he doesn't want this, and he hopes that he's wrong, but... he's pretty sure he knows what's wrong.

And something is telling him that he should talk with Cas about it. He'd know what he's going through. He's honestly the only person he knows that's got a kid.

But he just can't bring himself to tell the older omega what he really thinks is wrong. Not yet anyway. Not until he knows for sure that he's pregnant.

Cas sighs, walking over to him, and placing a hand on his shoulder. "Maybe you should take the rest of the day off." He suggests. "Go home and sleep this off."

Going home and sleeping this off sounds like a good idea. But Merton isn't sure that this is just something that he can sleep off if this is what he fears it is.

And honestly? He doesn't quite want to leave Cas to run the store by himself while he takes the rest of the day off. But he knows that Cas won't take no for an answer. Especially when he's almost certain that Cas can tell what's up with him, judging by the way he's watching him carefully.

"I'd hate to leave you to run the store yourself." Merton says.

Cas smiles kindly at him. "Don't you worry about that." He says. "You just go home, and rest okay? You look like you need it."

It's true. All Merton feels like doing right now is rest and do nothing. Which is rather unlike him in a way. Right now he just feels exhausted, when usually he's considerably energetic and can't sit still most of the time if he's not otherwise occupied.

Sighing, Merton nods. "Okay."

He'll go home and rest. Hopefully he'll be better tomorrow, and can come back into work. Although he rather doubts it if this isn't just some stomach bug.

Cas nods, smiling a little. "Good." He says. "And don't worry about me running the store myself. Charlie should be coming in later."

Nodding, Merton vaguely recalls that Charlie is scheduled to come in to work just after lunchtime today. Usually she would've been in earlier, around the same time he clocked in, but she had an appointment to go to first. Or something along those lines anyway.

"Alright." He says, sighing a little. "I'll try and come back tomorrow if I'm feeling any better."

He doesn't really like to take days off work unless he has to. He loves writing at this bookstore, and he needs the money. He and Tommy aren't exactly rich after all, so neither of them can really take many days off work except for the standard days off during heats and ruts.

Cas shakes his head. "I want you to take tomorrow off too." He says. "Best you don't come back in until Monday. I'll talk to Rowena. She'll understand you're feeling unwell so you can't come into work."

Merton knows Cas is right. Their boss Rowena MacLeod will understand. She's a sweet lady, and she completely adores him, so she won't have any issues with him taking the rest of the day and tomorrow off.

Though if Merton is being honest, while he does happen to work in an occult bookstore where he kind of has his doubts that most of the stuff here actually works, he gets the impression that his boss Rowena is a real witch. There's definitely something witchy about her, so he wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if she is one.

"Thank you, Cas." Merton says, smiling appreciatively at the older omega.

"You're welcome." Cas says. "Now you just head on home and get some rest."

******

As soon as he gets home, Merton wastes no time in stripping out of his work clothes and into something more comfy, before he's curling up in bed. He's not sure if he'll be able to get much rest as he's still feeling like shit, but he might as well at least try.

Unfortunately while he manages to get some sleep, it's not very peaceful sleep. And when he wakes up, he still feels like utter shit, and has the very prominent urge to throw up the contents of his stomach.

He only just makes it to the bathroom on time, and he spends what feels like hours kneeling in front of the toilet throwing up. Definitely not a pleasant experience....

He hates being sick, and he's beginning to fear that this really isn't just some stomach bug, and that he's pregnant. He can almost guarantee it, and as much as he hates being sick, he'd take that over pregnancy any day.

Though while he can almost guarantee that he is pregnant, he wants to get a pregnancy test just to be sure. Problem is, he's feeling a little too nauseous to go out and buy a test himself. He feels as though if he goes out to the store right now to buy one, then he'd end up being sick while he's out, and he really doesn't want that. So the only other option is to call someone to go out and buy him one.

He'd call Tommy and ask him to buy him one, but at the same time, he's not sure if he wants to tell Tommy the news just yet. That is, if he really is pregnant. He doesn't want to tell Tommy until he is absolutely sure.

He doesn't want to bother Cas about this even though he knows that the guy will help him out. So that leaves him with calling Lori for help. And she won't hesitate in helping him out. Besides, she owes him a favor, so he's gonna cash in this favor she owes him.

Getting up, he cleans himself up, before heading back into his room, and grabs his phone, flipping it open and searching for Lori's number.

Taking a deep breath, he dials Lori's number. She would've just gotten off work not too long ago, so she should answer. And when she finally does answer, if it weren't for how afraid and nervous Merton is, he'd be relieved that she picked up.

"Hey, Merton!" Lori says. "What's up?"

"Lori." Merton starts, voice shaking a little. "I need a favor."