Chapter Three

"Did you get it?" Merton asks, opening the front door to find Lori standing outside, a big fluffy jacket wrapped around her to keep her out of the cold.

"Yes." She says, making her way inside. "I don't see why you couldn't have gone to get it yourself, and save me going out into the cold."

She grabs a small bag out of the pocket of her jacket, handing it to Merton, who is quick to take it from her. In truth, he would've gone out to get it himself if it wasn't for the fact that he feels so nauseous right now. And he just hates the cold. Although Lori did owe him a favor, and her going out to the store to buy him a pregnancy test is a good enough favor for him.

"Well, you owed me one." He says. "And like I told you on the phone, I just feel too sick to go out right now."

Honestly, how nauseous and off he's been feeling lately should be a pretty clear indicator of what's going on with him, but he had to get a test just to be certain. But it could also just mean he's caught a stomach bug or something of the sort. He rather doubts it though. He feels too off for it to just be some stomach bug.

Add the fact that he's not sure if during his heat last month if Tommy used protection each time they had sex. With a heat-addled brain, he can't keep track of everything.

"I know." Lori says, shrugging her jacket off, throwing it over the side of the couch. "So, you gonna take it before Tommy gets home?"

Merton nods. Tommy doesn't get home from work for another three hours or so, so he's got plenty of time to take the test and hide the evidence from him if it turns out negative. Though if it's positive - and he had a strong feeling that it will be positive - he's not sure how he'll tell Tommy. They've not exactly had very many conversations about having kids.

In fact the very few times they've talked about if they were to have kids, they both shared concerns that their kids would end up inheriting Tommy's werewolf genes. They don't want their kids to have to go through that. Though Merton had brought up the fact that since he has werewolf anti-bodies in his bloodstream from when he almost turned that that would possibly prevent them from inheriting any of Tommy's werewolf genes. But they don't know if it'll be enough to prevent it.

"Yeah." Merton nods. "I uh... I should take it now, I think."

Better to take it now than later. But he's scared. Scared of the results, and quite honestly, he's always been kinda scared of being pregnant. Hell, that time back in high school when he stupidly made contact with that alien and she impregnated him definitely didn't help. At least this time the baby won't be an alien, nor will it just burst out of his stomach.

Lori nods. "I'll be waiting here."

Sighing, Merton nods, before he's heading off into the bathroom to do what he needs to do.

"The instructions say to wait five minutes before you get a result." Merton says, once he's taken the test and is now back in the living room sitting on the couch next to Lori.

Five whole minutes of worry and terror as he awaits the results. And while five minutes certainly doesn't sound like much, it very much does in this exact moment.

He's vaguely aware of Lori setting a timer on her watch for five minutes, but Merton's mind drifts elsewhere. Drifting onto what'll happen if the test is positive, and how Tommy will react.

Well actually he's not so much worried about Tommy's reaction. He knows Tommy will very likely be happy about this, but they're both still young. They weren't planning on having kids for another couple years at least, and they had planned on adoption, not having their own child biologically, considering Merton's fear of being pregnant, and the risk of the child inheriting Tommy's werewolf genes.

Well, Merton supposes that he'd be fine with only going through being pregnant once for him and Tommy to have their own biological child. He could probably deal with it once. But that would only be the case if they didn't have any risks of the child being a werewolf like Tommy. If Tommy wasn't a werewolf, then he'd possibly be okay with being pregnant.

Then again, if Tommy had never gotten turned into a werewolf, then there's the very high chance that they would have never become friends, then eventually mates. Both of their lives would be considerably different if Tommy never got bit the night before his senior year. They would have never even met Lori!

He sighs, thinking about what would've happened if Tommy never got turned, resulting in them never becoming friends is a depressing thought. And one that he'd rather not think about, or ever want to happen. Becoming friends with Tommy then eventually mates is the best thing that ever happened to him, and he's got no idea where he'd be right now if that never happened.

"Hey." Lori says, wrapping an arm around Merton's shoulders and pulling him close to her as she senses his discomfort. "It's okay. Everything will be alright in the end. Whatever happens, Tommy will be here for you. And so will I."

Nodding, Merton rests his head on her shoulder. He knows that no matter what happens Tommy and Lori will always be there for him. He knows that now, unlike back in high school where he wasn't so sure they'd stick by his side no matter what.

"It's time." Lori says pulling Merton out of his thoughts as the timer on her watch beeps.

The five minutes are up, and Merton is afraid of what he's going to see on the test. He has a bad feeling that once he finally looks down at the test in his hands that he's going to see what he doesn't want to see; two pink lines.

But he can't really put off not looking at the results. He has to know what they are, even if they may be something that he doesn't like. And the likelihood that it's going to be something that he doesn't like? Well... that's unfortunately very high....

Sighing, he shakes his head. He has to look at the results.

So that's exactly what he does; he looks down at the test in his hands. And as he stares down at the test, he doesn't know how to react. All he can do is stare at it.

Stare at the two pink lines on the test....

Gently, Lori grabs a hold of his wrist, tilting them slightly so she can get a look at the results on the test. And what she sees... well, judging by Merton's reaction to it (or lack of reaction), she's not sure if this is supposed to be a good thing or not.

"You're pregnant." She says, looking down at the test in Merton's hands.

Merton doesn't say anything, too shocked and scared to do anything but stare at the test. The positive pregnancy test.

He's pregnant....