𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑙𝑣𝑒. 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑐𝑒

♝♗

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄:

𝐽 𝑈 𝑆 𝑇 𝐼 𝐶 𝐸

Betrayal was an interesting word. Over five hundred years old, and the word still packed a punch. It originally meant to hand over, as in to hand over something or someone who probably didn't want to be there so you gain their trust to make matters easier until you eventually hand them over. Betray them in this case.

The funny thing about betrayal is that it's the most truthful moment about a person. Who they really are, what they really wanted, it's all revealed the minute they stab you in the back. Metaphorically, of course. And in this moment, Ben finally got to know someone better than he thought.

Ben was heaving, his thoughts ran a mile as the knife against his neck pressed deeper. The cold air made his face flush, his heartbeat was thudding repeatedly. He could feel the cold blade press harder, but the revelation made him ignore the pain even as a sharp prick came and he felt something trickle down his throat. He was bleeding and the more anybody tried to approach them, the harder the knife sliced him.

"Guess again."

He recognized that voice.

He'd known it for years.

He thought they were friends, that they had gotten along. Ben's breathing increased, he was panting, his head was shaking despite his situation. This can't be. "What are you doing?" His voice was raspy and angry.

"What I need to do," Nathaniel Knight sneered at him.

"Let go of my son, you little-"

"Careful, your majesty," The knight said mockingly, "throats can get sliced pretty easily. All you have to do is apply a little pressure." he squeezed Ben's neck and they could see him practically turn purple. "And then in one swift motion, he's on the floor losing pint after pint." For emphasis, Nate moved backwards a little, making sure to keep everyone on his eye level in case anyone tried to save the young ruler.

Jay had been staring for a while, his friends were anxious and looking for ways to stop this but Jay was calmer. He didn't want Ben in harms way, but his brain just kept coming back to the same question. "I don't get it, you told me-" Jay paused, not knowing if he should bring up their private conversation but then relented. "You said you hated all this, being forced to follow your father's footsteps. He died for Wonderland, that's what you told me drove you to your decision."

Nate smiled and coughed out a laugh, "Oh yes, that was true. The White Knight was killed by the Knave of Hearts. But what I left out in that story was that my father was also the knave." The look of confusion and wide eyes on Jay matched the following stares his fellow VK's sent Nate. "The knight went in, infiltrated the enemy, and he became the knave to keep it all secret. Sound familiar?" He pouted as his free hand moved a few inches from Ben's shoulder to point at himself.

Jay suddenly remember what his father often said, the best liars always tell the truth. He drawled out slowly as he repeated those words in his head. "You did the same thing," Jay whispered his realization of Nate repeating his fathers actions.