176-180

Chapter 176: Can’t Stand It

However, Shen Nianzhi had always felt a sense of unease about this. She remembered a few months back, when she informed Gu Xiqiao about Sima Jun’s intentions of accepting her as his disciple, how she bluntly turned such a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity down, saying that she wanted to become a doctor instead.

Right now, using that very same pair of crystal clear eyes, Gu Xiqiao stared back into her soul. Although her expression seemed warm and accepting, Shen Nianzhi pursed her lips. She unconsciously wished to stop listening to what her friend would say in response.

Of course, she still listened to every single syllable that Gu Xiqiao would utter.

“If you really want me to go, then you best forget about it. Mr. Sima’s achievements are undoubtedly impressive. As for me, I’m just a small side character. I don’t think it’ll be wise for me to accept the award.” Gu Xiqiao’s smile faded away immediately after that. She thought she had long gotten over that issue; seems like her mood for the rest of the day had been destroyed.

‘I knew it!’ Shen Nianzhi almost started yanking her hair out. ‘She rejected the offer! This girl’s rejected an important opportunity! Again!’

Again?

Fame and fortune was now a low-hanging fruit, dangling right in front of her face. If she accepted this award, her name would spread all over the globe. She only needed to appear at the awards. Shen Nianzhi’s emotions were riled up thinking about this. And yet, Gu Xiqiao herself said no to this offer! Did she fully understand what this meant?!

“Miss Gu, I know that you are aspiring to become a doctor. But you’re really talented in painting. I don’t wish to see you waste away something you’re born with.” Shen Nianzhi’s expression was dead serious. She really was thinking about this in Gu Xiqiao’s best interests.

This feeling of hers was further intensified after her trip overseas, which has broadened her horizons by quite a bit. She learned a lot during this trip, and it made her fully appreciate just how great a painter Gu Xiqiao was. There were only a handful of artists China had ever produced. It pained her greatly to hear one of these people turn down the award.

Gu Xiqiao’s facial expression softened up after sensing the concern in her voice. She added a little more sugar in Shen Nianzhi’s coffee. Smiling subtly, she replied, “More so than anyone, I am aware of my own decisions. Trust me when I say I like painting, it is by far, my most favorite hobby. Even if I don’t become Sima Jun’s apprentice, even if I don’t attend the Biennale, painting will remain my favorite pastime. I will never give up on it.”

Shen Nianzhi’s tense face loosened up upon hearing what Gu Xiqiao had to say. One word at a time, her mind registered Gu Xiqiao’s words.

If the world of art could be described at an ocean, it would be an incredibly deep one. After spending a few months abroad, she has finally achieved enlightenment. Unfair treatment was unavoidable, even for people as great as Sima Jun, what more to say of herself? She could not guarantee that she would remain a pure glass of water forever.

Never would she expect that Gu Xiqiao possessed such a profound idea toward art. Art to her was just art. None of what she did was for the sake of fame or glory.

If someone was to tell her what Gu Xiqiao did today, she would just shrug it off with a laugh. How on Earth was it possible for someone to remain so indifferent to a golden ticket for success?

And yet, this seemingly joke-like scenario was playing out in real life in front of her. Despite being announced the winner of an International Biennale, nothing said could move the mountain that was Gu Xiqiao.