one

-caught ________

-caught
________

I would have never imagined my summer like this. I had imagined swimming in the lake, sunbathing on the dock. The smell of fire in the air as someone told a scary story; I didn't actually think I would be in my own.

I shoved my last piece of clothing into my duffel bag. I had doubt that I would have enough to last the whole summer but that's all the camp director, Margret Booth, would allow. My brown eyes gazed up at the clock, the silver hands read 10:02. Camp redwood was 2 hours from the small apartment I called home. If I left now I would make it to Redwood in time for lunch. I wanted to arrive with plenty of time to set my stuff up and claim my bunk before the other counselors would arrive.

I slung the neon blue duffle bag over my shoulder. The keys to my white station wagon laid across the tiled counter of the kitchen. I quickly grabbed them before saying a quick goodbye to my roommate, Robin.

______

  The drive to Redwood was peaceful. Soft pop was playing through the radio of my wagon. I took a sip of the iced coffee that sat in the center console. My duffle bag was in the passenger seat, the sun beating down on the bright fabric. I hummed softly to the tune on the radio, Footloose. I had opened the window enough to let a cool breeze blow through my hair. As the trees grew thicker, the signal grew weaker. Sighing I shut off the radio and listened to the gentle hum of the engine. According the the directions a local gave me I just had a couple more miles straight until I would be at the entrance of the camp.

Camp Redwood proved to be even more in the middle of the woods then I had originally thought. Nothing but trees coated the road. It was calming and frightening. The serenity of the woods created peace but the great length the greenery spread caused an unwelcoming feeling of uneasiness. What if something were to happen to where we would need help, it would take at least 30 minutes for anyone to come. I shook my head at the thought, nothing was going to happen to me.

____

Camp Redwoods gravel parking lot was empty when I arrived, apart from a small blue car in which a blonde sat atop of.

"Um hi." I said quietly stepping out of my car, the loud crunch of my shoes disturbing the silence. The blonde turned to look at me, her eyes wandered me up and down, creating chills to go down my spine. She rolled her eyes before speaking to me.

"Dawn Frolley?" She asked her arms folded across her chest. She wore a plain khaki vest and shorts. I blinked in shock unsure of how the women knew my name.

"Uh yeah" I told her nervously tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. She glanced at me, unimpressed. My self-esteem was lowering by the second.

"Margret Booth." She responded sticking out her hand. I shook it carefully. "Welcome to camp Redwood. I only have a couple rules" she said.  I nodded, pulling the duffle bag out of my car. "There is red and blue. Do not make purple." She sternly told me peering over her glasses. I nodded. "Girls will shower in the morning, Guys at night, only." She began to walk faster showing me the camp; I almost had to jog to keep up with her. "No drugs no alcohol," Margret continued. I rolled my eyes, trudging behind her. She looked back. "Well hurry up." I was fucking starving and quite frankly done with Margret already, how was I supposed to spend two months with her. "And here is the girls cabin, where I will leave you." And without another word she left me alone. A peaceful silence rang in my ear. I sighed placing my bag on one of the lower bunks. The cabin had two bunk beds, a small brown leather couch with a TV in the corner and a tiny table nestled along the wall. I glanced out the window onto the lake. The sun shone on it perfectly. I took a bag of cool ranch Doritos and placed them on the crappy camp bunk. Once I had actually gotten to the camp I didn't feel the need to unpack, I didn't care anymore after Margrets exhausting hour long tour.

Digging through my duffle bag I found what I was looking for, my swimsuit. It was a red bikini that I had bought the day prior, much from robins constant nagging. Grabbing a beach towel from the bottom of my bag I pulled my sunglasses onto my face and slipped my sandals on. I had a feeling it was going to be a hard trip down but I figured I'd try anyways.

Just as I thought as soon as I stepped out of the cabin I tripped on a tree root. Grunting I pulled myself up, this time walking down much more carefully. The water looked murky, it was filled with a some sort of longing. Some debris floated near the shore line. I sat down on the dock opening my bag of chips. I was starving and the damn cook hadn't showed up yet. Soon puddles of sweat formed along my brow and down my back. Closing the bag I placed them next to my water bottle. I didn't like drinking tap water so I had to keep my water as long as I could, though I knew it would only last a day. Taking a deep breath I plunged into the icy water. It spread through my veins like fire. I gasped as my head broke through the surface. I slicked my hair back with my hands so my wet hair couldn't tickle my nose. I laughed with joy. The only thing I could swim in back home was the shitty community pool filled with kid pee and chemicals. I smiled admiring the land around me. The lake was carved in the middle of a forest. Green surrounded me. Ducks quacked across the lake and birds chirped from the trees, for the first time in a while I was at peace, to bad that wouldn't last for long.

I placed my arms on to dock to pull myself up. The sun was now halfway in the sky. It had to be almost 3 pm. I spread out the black beach towel I brought and laid down on its soft fabric. I closed my eyes listening to the gentle sway of the cattails.

The sound of an engine revving woke me from my deep thoughts. I sat up to see a few more cars and an old van in the lot. I sighed before flinging my towel over my shoulder, then grabbing my water and Doritos. I slipped my sandals on before trudging up the hill towards the lot.

"Are we the only counselors?" A masculine voice asked hitting my ears.

"Nope." I chimed, stepping into view. His eyes widened. "Dawn Frolley." I smiled shaking his hand. "Other then me Yep." Margret looked at me and then rolled her eyes.

"Go change... now." She demanded. I groaned internally. I turned around and suddenly felt uncomfortable. Eyes were bore into my backside. I resisted the urge to turn around.

"Is there a medic or a nurse here?" A preppy voice called from inside the van. I turned around and as if this kid was Superman, he whipped around so he wouldn't get caught staring, expect he did. A dark brunette peered out of the van onto the scene in front of her. Margret stomped over to her and I sighed, miss annoying. "We have a situation."

"What happened to him??" Margret asked looking into the kids messy van. The boy who had been caught, well I didn't say anything, but he was still caught. appeared beside the annoying blonde named Margret booth.

"Uh he was by the side of the road." He said leaning against the frame of the van. "He was already messed up." His shoulders shrugged nonchalantly.

"Okay well let's get him to the infirmary." She backed out of the van. "I told you to change." She placed her hands on her hips before heading off towards the infirmary. I grunted in response.

"I think you look great." The boy said as he walked passed me. A startled heat flew to my cheeks.

"Xavier knock it off." A blonde girl with brightly covered eye shadow said smacking him across the face. I stifled a laugh before I walked back to the cabin to change into something more comfy.