Chapter 24

Wren's POV

I've never been the type of person who wanted to be the center of attention. I was happy with most people not knowing my name. I had no issues with quietly flying under the radar. The less focus there is on me, the less they're noticing the way I'm limping or that I flinch when I'm not expecting sudden movements. If students aren't seeing me, they're not trying to be my friend, putting me in a position where I have to explain away why I can't hang out after school. If teachers barely associate my name with my face, they're not calling Sheila, rather it's to tell her I'm doing poorly or praising me, believing that she'll appreciate it only for it to remind her that I exist.

From the moment I stepped foot in school this morning, I've heard my name bouncing around the halls. Students, teachers, it didn't seem to matter. I've seen people shamelessly staring at me and the guys, not even trying to hide that they're talking about us with their friends. Hearing my name being mentioned and feeling the stares of my classmates leaves me burning red with embarrassment and an anxiousness that's hard to explain.

Judging from the way North's teeth were grinding together hard enough that I'm sure they're going to be nubs by the end of algebra, the boys aren't fairing much better.

"I heard that one of them went fucking crazy and when a group of students tried to calm him down, the teachers thought they were the problem, instead of the stupid private school douchebag."

They weren't even attempting to be quiet, instead they were talking in normal tones like they were trying to get a rise out of Nathan or North. It had started the moment Mr. Gilbert told us to start working quietly on our chapter assignment. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to consider gossiping to be talking, opting to surf around on his computer instead of telling the class to shut their mouths.

"I heard she jumped over on purpose," someone across the room said and the red in my cheeks deepened. Were they that desperate for gossip to spread around? Why would I do something like that on purpose and then hold on for dear life? It didn't make any sense and it would have been laughable if it weren't so damn annoying.

A girl's stage whisper took center stage. "She doesn't even look that hurt. She probably wasn't even--"

North, who hasn't quite recovered from having to help hoist me down from a considerable height, lunges out of his chair, pushing it away with a squealing scrape. Nathan's up a second later, hands on his shoulders as he tries to talk him down without anyone overhearing. Confusion leaves me glued to my seat. Of all the crap they've said, why is that the one that pushed him over the edge?

Mr. Gilbert eyes North warily. "Is there something the matter?" he demands, his gaze skimming over all of his students like North has personally done them harm.

The entire room is watching North with bated breath. They either want the truth straight from the source or more drama to add to an already overflowing pool of information. They don't care that Victor had to take Kota to buy a new pair of glasses yesterday. They don't care that my arms are still so sore that the moment I stepped into school today, one of my boys took my backpack hostage and it hasn't been returned to me since. They don't care that Luke pulled me aside to relay to me in a whisper that North had a nightmare last night where he didn't get to me fast enough and I just kept falling and falling. They just want something new to spread around, rather it's the truth or not.

North and his temper are at war with each other. He looks ready to go berserk and lay waste to the entire 10th grade class when he finally barks out, "Bathroom," and stomps out of the room, slamming the classroom door behind him.