Ch. 37 - A New King

A/N: I know it's very late but I found this cool website where you can create RPG characters and I used it to create an image of how Yami looks. I know the story is almost over but I hope you like it anyways! I also put this picture in the first chapter for all the new readers.

Chapter 37 - A New King
flashback to Meliodas' and Zeldris' conversation

3rd persons POV
"So what do you say?" Meliodas asked his younger brother.

"You only care about the curse laid upon your little princess" said Zeldris and looked at his brother in disgust. He was too mad at his older brother for everything he had done. Ever since Yami came into their life, Meliodas cared more about her than about his younger brother. And he was too blind to see what was really going on. The only reason Zeldris had become this way was to protect the people he cared about. He only fought against all those races and people to make it seem like he doesn't care about anything else so everyone else would be safe. He had to take Meliodas' place in order to protect those he loved. And if Meliodas would've cared more about his family than about some angel he fell in love with, then he would've noticed the danger Yami really was in and how much Zeldris tried to protect them. But the more time had passed, the less the two brothers talked until Meliodas disappeared for good before Zeldris found out which side he was fighting on from then on.

"There's so much more I care about. And so do you. I know you don't want this war. You want her."

"How'd you know what I want?"

"'Cause she told me everything. You wouldn't have come just to see her if I'd be wrong." Meliodas noticed that Zeldris was hesitating after his last words. Another time, Meliodas put his hand on his brothers shoulder. "If I'm right and you really love Yami, this war can't be what you really want. You want to be with her. Right?"

Ashamed, Zeldris looked at the ground because he didn't know what else to do. He was angry with his brother and his trust in him was broken. And yet Meliodas was still able to see through his little brother. That only made Zeldris angrier. But Meliodas was right. No matter how hard Zeldris tried to deny it, since he could remember Yami again, the war and the revenge on the other races had become more and more indifferent to him. Every day it was more about being with her and protecting her, which is why it was so easy for him to lie to his comrades in order to delay the attack on the kingdom of Liones. If he thought about it now, he had betrayed his comrades, too.

"I know I let you down back then. But we can end it now. Together" said Meliodas.

Zeldris gritted his teeth again, but this time from tension as he struggled with himself. Then he turned his focus back to his brother. "Well, what's your plan?"
♦♦♦

"Yami would never let us do that" Zeldris said after Meliodas told him his plan.

"That's why she mustn't find out."

"You want to lie to her?" Zeldris asked implausibly and still had to grin slightly. Yami would tear him to pieces if she finds out.

"Want? No. But we have no other choice. I fear that otherwise she would only let us go if she accompanied us."

"I wouldn't let that happen" Zeldris pressed out angrily. The very idea that his father would lend a hand to her made him mad already.

"Then we finally agree!" grinned Meliodas thoughtfully. It had taken a long time to get through to his brother, but it finally seemed to work. "I know someone who can take us to Purtagory. But-"

"But the other commandments wouldn't let me go. I would be a traitor too then."

"And they would not follow a traitor. Even if he were the next king of the demons" said Meliodas. And he knew his younger brother believed him, for Meliodas had lost interest in the throne a long time ago.