Chapter 24

KENZIE

I am so screwed.

That is the only thing I can think of as I wheel my bike into the garage and kick out the stand so that it doesn't fall over when I leave. My heart is racing from the adrenaline still running through my body and although I know that he would never physically hurt me, the sound of Will's voice as he scolded me over the phone scared the hell out of me.

Despite feeling nervous about facing the men inside, especially knowing that at least one of them is angry at me, I refuse to let my mind turn this into something worse than it really is. Obviously my latest alter has tested their patience over that last week and I have no control over what it has said or done to push their buttons, but surely we can find a way to put this behind us and move forward.

Stepping into the main foyer through the internal garage door, I am met with nothing but silence which doesn't do much to help my nerves, but it definitely beats having to listen to Will and Nathan shouting at each other. I contemplate making a dash for my room, but that would probably on fuel Will's anger towards me even further and it doesn't make a difference either way as by the time the thought crosses my mind it is already banished to the darkest recesses of my brain by the sound of shoes slapping against the tiled floor.

Gripping onto the banister of the stair case, I scan the hallway for the source of the sound and am slightly relieved when I see Chris's giant form sauntering towards me. The relief is only short lived as following close behind him are Nathan and Will, both of whom look none too pleased to see me.

"Thank goodness. Are you alright?" Chris asks quietly, his forehead creasing with worry as he looks me over in search for any visible injuries, despite the only ones I have sustained today being emotional.

"Yeah, I'm ok just-"

"Where were you?" Will cuts me off for a second time today and the firm undertone of his voice causes a shiver to run up my spine.

"I was with Ben." I answer immediately, voice wobbling with fear as his cold glare pierces into my soul.

Nathan's features soften considerably at my scared state, but I can tell that he is still upset with me in some capacity for making him worry.

"This is just a misunderstanding, I can explain everything." Though I'm not sure what else it is that I need to explain to try and calm them down, as far as I am aware the only thing I could have done wrong was not answering my phone.

"We can discuss that later when our visitors have left." Will decides, leaving no room for argument or negotiation. "You've kept them waiting long enough."

"We have visitors?" I ask surprised, normally they warn me when they have someone unfamiliar coming to the house so that I can mentally prepare myself. I guess they must have arranged this get together while I was being controlled by the "demon" alter.

"If you would have answered your phone one of the twenty million times we tried to call you this morning, then you would have known this." Will retorts, planting me with a pointed stare, as if he is challenging me to talk back.

"Ok, it doesn't matter. She's here now and we have more important things that we need to discuss together." Nathan butts in before the tension between us can grow any further than it already has. Thankfully it works and instead of saying anything else, Will finally decides to back down but not before letting out a frustrated sigh accompanied with a sharp nod of agreement.

Without another word, Will begins to walk back towards the kitchen area, leaving Nathan, Chris and I alone in the foyer. Nathan is the first to break the awkward silence as a look of pure guilt washes over his features.