Chapter 1 - Flames to the heart

Buck grabbed his bag, ready to leave his big empty apartment, and head into work. He looked at the note sitting on the side table as a reminder. It had been over three months since he came home from a hard shift to that note and his whole world came crashing down. He knew soon he would have to face the fact the person he fell for was not coming back, that he was alone again. He shakes his head and slams the door as he makes his way down the hall towards the elevator.

As he presses the button to head down to the car park, he stood watching the numbers count down. This became normal for him; most days he was on autopilot, he just felt so numb. He would go to work, paint a happy face on and do the job that he loved, then come home and sit and wallow in the big emptiness of the apartment. He knew it was his fault he was alone, after all, he was the one who suggested they go and visit the places around the world, now though, he regretted it, and to add to the hurt more he hadn't received a single text or call back for over a week. He knew he was been ghosted, but still, the love was there and the hope that he would get some kind of contact soon.

As the elevator doors opened up to the vast car park that was full, Buck imagines the people and families that must live in the same building, who he rarely sees as he is out early and back late. As he makes his way towards his Jeep, he sees his neighbour.

'I hope they don't want to talk to me,' he thinks to himself.

He hurries himself to his jeep but as he gets there, he hears a voice call out to him.

'Damn, caught,' he thinks.

"Hey Evan, how are you today?" Mrs. Chester asks.

"Hey Mrs. C, remember I told you to call me Buck. I'm good, just off to another shift. What are you doing up so early?" Buck asks.

"Oh, I just needed to nip to the shop, wanted to get in before the masses wake," she chuckles.

"You should give me a knock if you need anything, I don't mind going out and grabbing it for you," Buck says; anything to be out of the apartment.

"You're too kind. Have you heard from Alex?" she questions.

"Not recently, but with times zones and my shifts, it's hard to talk. Anyway, I best be off- don't want to be late. I'll see you around and remember give me a knock if you or Mr. C need anything," Buck says with a painted on smile

"I will, I'll bake you something for later. Be safe," she says as she heads off, and Buck jumps in his jeep.

He looks at the steering wheel and punches it before placing his head on it as he starts to cry. The one question Buck wanted to avoid. His boyfriend left after his father died to travel and find himself, and Buck let him, hell he even encouraged him. His friends told him it wasn't good, they told him he needed to face facts; that Alex wasn't coming back, but Buck told them he wasn't going to listen to that, Alex said he would be back and when they spoke, he always said to Buck he will be back for him. Buck believed the man he loved and the note he left explained to Buck that he would be back for him once he did his traveling. Now over a week with no contact but seeing new posts on social media, it was evident he had been left behind and forgotten.

Sitting there, looking at the charm that swings from the mirror, brings back memories of their first meeting. Buck smiled at his thoughts but turned sad as he realizes he won't ever be happy.

His phone goes off. An unknown number.

"Alex, is that you?" He asks as he answers in hope.

"No, it's Maddie. Wait, who's Alex?" She asks.

"It doesn't matter, what do you want?" He had not heard from her in years. Another person who said they would be there but left him, now calling out of the blue.