Chapter 32: Crumble

"Katherine, you have to tell me what's wrong," Kevin said, sitting next to her in their booth and handing her a napkin. "You just show up crying and with no luggage? I mean, I'm right thrilled to see you, but you've got me worried."

"I'm fine," Katherine said, wiping her eyes. "I'm just happy to be here, that's all."

Kevin had poured her a big pint of her favorite dark beer, and she took a long drink. Firewhiskey and butterbeer were good, but this was definitely better.

"Kev, would you get off your arse and come help me—" Arlo called, coming out of the kitchen. "Katherine?" he said when he saw her sitting there. "I, I didn't know you were coming."

"I missed you too, Arlo," she gave a small laugh. "Go on, give him a hand. I'll go get a cup of tea from Marcie's."

"Are you sure," Kevin said. "I've got tea here."

"I'm sure. She's got one that I've been craving since I left. I'll be right back."

He went to stand, then screwed up his nose and stopped. "Did you change your soap?"

"What is it with everyone and my soap," she said with a soft chuckle. "Yes, I did."

"Hmm. It's nice, but I think I liked the old one better," he said with a smirk. "Go on, get your tea. But don't go flying back to American on me while you're gone."

Katherine rolled her eyes and walked out the door, still on edge but far calmer than before. When she walked into the bakery, she saw Marcie behind the counter.

"Have a cup of tea to spare?" she said, walking up towards her.

"Katherine!" the woman exclaimed, smiling at her. "What are you doing here? That red headed man said you were studying to go to law school, but he didn't mention you would be visiting again. When did you get in?"

"Just today," Katherine said. "I don't know how long I'm staying. But I have been dying for some of that tea you have, the vanilla one we had when you were doing inventory?"

"Of course," Marcie said. "I'll make a pot. Go on, have a seat."

Katherine sat in a stool and took off her coat as Marcie went in the back. She pulled out the notebook from her bag, dislodging the photograph and staring at it. What did you get us into? she thought, looking at her mother. She was so caught up in he own disbelief of the situation that she didn't notice the lumbering man who stood next to her.

"Our American is back, eh?"

She looked up with a groan. "Hi, Mark."

"So, this is the photograph you're always showing around," he said, plucking it from her fingers. He waved it around with all the arrogance she remembered before holding it up to his face.

"Please, Mark, be careful with that," Katherine said, not wanting to rip it by wrestling it out of his hands.

But she saw his face get fuzzy, even fuzzier than the postman's or Marcie's when they looked at it. And with everything she now knew, it felt less like a coincidence. Katherine let her magic pool behind her eyes. Then she saw it. It was small at first but growing and spilling out of his ears. It was green, like an old penny.

Katherine let a little of her static out, carefully intertwining it with the green and giving it a gentle tug. It pulled away like long threads, eventually coming free of his head altogether and leaving his face clear.

"Evie."

She thought she had misheard him at first. But as he looked up from the picture and back at her, then back at the picture, the recognition was clear.