Chapter 33: The Bird Won't Talk

Katherine woke up to Corliss hooting softly in her cage. She opened the door and held her hand out. Corliss hopped into it, staring at her with concerned eyes.

"I'm okay," Katherine said, petting her head. It was light outside, only making the day seem odder with the time change. She had left London around two, which would have been eight in the morning here. When Katherine looked at the clock on the stove, it was just after one. She dug in her bag to find the treats Charlie had sent, giving some to Corliss to tide her over until she could go hunt that night. "I think you'll like it here," Katherine said.

Corliss kept a close eye on Katherine, flying from room to room with her as she went about the house. She felt like she was in a haze. It was so quiet here, the kind of stillness she hadn't really had in months. She couldn't pop over to the Burrow or sneak into the hills. There was no store to go down and help in or cozy armchair to bother George from.

She didn't think she had ever been so angry. This man had kept her from that family for her whole life, then let her get attached, encouraged her to get attached, knowing full well that eventually the rug would be pulled out from under her. She didn't want to think about Molly or Arthur, who had been so good to her. It was like George had stolen them from her twice.

Katherine had been perfectly content with her solitary life. She had liked not having anyone demand of her time or tell her where to be. She had liked being able to hide away and not have anyone bother her. She had liked the quiet. But she realized that, though she had yearned for her autonomy and space for the last few months, she had grown accustomed to people knowing who she was. Knowing that she loved big open cardigans and dark beer and woodpeckers. Knowing that she was a sucker for a twinkle light and what her soap smelled like.

But George had ruined that. George had let her build this newfound hope and knowledge on a lie. And she didn't think she could ever forgive him for it.

Her stomach grumbled, but there was no food in the house. She put Corliss back in her cage. "I'll be back soon; I'm just going to the store."

The sun hurt Katherine's eyes as she walked out into the daylight. She wandered down the street to Max's house, knocking on the door.

"Katherine," his mom said when she answered. "I didn't know you were back."

"Just got in today, Mrs. Butler. I was just going to grab my car if that's okay."

"Of course," she said. "Come in, I'll grab the keys. Max is home this week for his birthday, I'm sure he'd love to see you."

She walked into the familiar house, which always had smelled like incense. It tickled her nose.

"Max," his mother yelled up the stairs, "Katherine is here!"

"What?" Max responded, thumping down the stairs. "Katherine, what are you doing here!"

"Just getting my car," Katherine said as he hugged her. "Your mom was watching it while I was gone."

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you look like crap." Max looked at her, his green eyes taking in her face.

"Just the jetlag. You know how I get when my sleep is off."

"That's true." He shrugged, then cocked his eyebrow. "How are you holding up otherwise? Why didn't you tell me about your mom?"

"There was just a lot going on," Katherine said. "I know I should have called. But with the holidays and everything, it just didn't seem like the time."

"I was right here. You could have come talked to me."

"I know." She placated him, just wanting to leave rather than talk any more about talking. "Look, I've got some errands I have to run."