2: Willow

I instantly became relaxed when I saw the yellow farmhouse I knew so well come into view

I instantly became relaxed when I saw the yellow farmhouse I knew so well come into view. The house was so special to our family, mainly because it's been in the family for four generations. The Ray family has been farmers on this land for many, many years. That was why I always felt the usual ping of guilt when I came home. But looking at the many acres around us, I relaxed before walking into the comforting house.

My legs immediately took me into the kitchen where basically everyone in the family always hangs out. All birthdays, holidays and any minor celebration was always celebrated right here. Avery was always cooking something up when she wasn't out in the fields with dad. Scarlett liked to bake, especially with Johnny. It helped that everyone lived in the farmhouse.

I smiled when I saw large vases of yellow roses on the table, which happened to be my favorite, because of my mom. She was ecstatic when I wanted to start figure skating and would take me every day to Omaha to train. On our many drives into the city, she introduced me into other forms of art such as classical music. Everything about her was fun and warm, she was the kind of mom everyone deserved to have. My dad would always have the kitchen be filled with yellow flowers, her favorite, and it would always make her cry. I quickly found a love of yellow roses and we would go into floral shops together. I haven't set foot in one since she died.

"Want me to make you anything special?" Avery asked when she came into the kitchen from behind.

Quickly wiping my eyes I shook my head to see her worriedly looking down at me. I've always been more sensitive than my sisters, and everyone knew it. When my mother died my sisters instantly stepped in and made sure I had a mother figure. They became more protective of me than they were before but losing a mom at nine years old, changes you.

"Are you okay?" She worriedly asked while wrapping her arms around me.

"Yeah," I nodded while looking away from the roses. "Just missing mom."

She pulled me closer to her, the perfume I've always loved, calming me. "Me too. She would've been so proud of you, and you know she would've been the loudest one there." I laughed as she gave me one final squeeze before pulling back and smiling. "So, what can I make you for lunch... some eggplant parmesan?"

"I had a feeling you were already planning on making my favorite meal," I said as she simply started laughing as she walked over to the fridge. "Can I help?"

"Of course you can."

We started working in a comfortable silence for awhile until a deep voice was saying, "Hey guys." I looked up to see Blaine walking into the kitchen with a smile. His brown hair was pulled up into a bun, something I knew Scarlett and Jesse always made fun of. He had really nice blue eyes that always reminded me of water. He was also super tall and was one of the nicest guys I've ever met. He for sure was the best person to have ended up with my sister. Ever since they had started dating forever ago he always treated me like a brother, and never made me feel left out.