Epilogue: Ryan/ Willow

Ryan

Four years later.

          My heart was beating so loud in my chest I wouldn't be surprised if people across the rink could hear it. The last four years had all led up to this, Willow making it to the Olympics. He always carried himself with such poise and passion but now, he carried himself with even more confidence than before. I immediately found him out on the ice warming up with some of the other best skaters, my leg starting to bounce. He looked so happy out there skating, even laughing with some of his closest skating friends. He kept telling me even if he didn't medal; he was still going to be proud of where he came from. And he should be, I was damn proud of him and always would be.

          His hair was shorter than it had been four years ago but his eyes were still as bright. He was wearing a blue sparkly top that really accentuated his body as well as his eyes. I've seen a whole lot of skaters in the past few years but none were as beautiful and graceful as the fairy I saw on the ice right now.

          "Remember to breathe Ryan," a deep voice next to me made me jump. When I looked to my right I saw Willow's father smiling at me before his hand was giving my knee a pat. The rest of our family was sitting here as well; no way anyone would have missed this. "You're looking a little pale."

          With a laugh I ran a hand through my hair before looking back at the ice. "Just nervous, I can't imagine what's going on in his mind right now. But he looks happy."

          "He really does," Scarlett said from my left side as Johnny snuck some chocolate covered peanuts into his mouth. "How'd he seem last night?"

          Since he was staying with the rest of the Olympic team, we met up after his team dinner where he couldn't stop smiling. "He seemed really excited but also nervous. He's said so many times in the last few years that he's just grateful to be here and doesn't care if he doesn't medal. But I've seen him practicing and I know he deserves one. But then again I might be a little biased."

          Scarlett laughed while nudging my shoulder with hers. "We're all a little biased."

          Having to sit through so many other skaters was making my knee start to shake again; I may have the worst patience on the planet. When it was finally Willow's turn I thought I was going to throw up. I kept telling myself to just breathe, he has this. My baby's at the fucking Olympics, he could do anything. That was one of the last things I made sure to tell him in person before we parted ways last night. That, and I made sure to text him this morning. This text was nothing like the last one I sent him before a competition; it simply said I love you. When he sent back a few fire emojis and some ice skate emojis, I knew his head was in the right place.

          "Representing the United States of America, Willow Ray."

          Before the announcer could even finish that sentence I was already clapping, trying to calm my breathing. Right now he needed a certain score to medal. There was also only one other skater left to go behind him but I was forcing myself not to think about that. My eyes instead wandered down to Willow skating a lap around the ice, looking relaxed and confident. He wouldn't let me take a sneak peek at the routine he had been working on, wanting to keep it secret for some reason. Once the music started though, I instantly knew why.

          The song You and I was starting to play throughout the rink as his body started to move to the music perfectly. When he landed his first quad I knew he had this in the bag. Every single jump and twirl was absolutely amazing; he was gliding around like he owned the ice. And right now, he did. He was showing this ice who was boss.