4: Willow/ Ryan

Willow

I bit my bottom lip while nervously glancing around all the other skaters around me. This was a pretty big turnout today, something that always made me slightly nervous. But for some reason I was feeling extra nervous today. I was feeling off and this was definitely not the way I should be feeling at Nationals. Ever since I left my family I had been feeling super emotional. It made me wish that I hadn't of gone home before Nationals but whenever I thought that, I instantly felt bad.

I forced myself to calm down and started to follow Ned towards the ice. At the last second I decided to look at my phone which honestly was the worst decision I've made. There was a single text on my home screen from an unknown number. It simply said Have fun with all the other fairies on the ice.

If someone was looking at me they would've seen all the color instantly drain from my face. How did Ryan get my number? I had never texted him before and it worried me that he had it. My fingers were slightly shaking as I thought about him watching my performance on TV. He had been mean to me basically my entire life but I honestly thought it'd stop when we graduated. Seeing him in New York was the first time I'd seen him since high school. Why did he have to get back into my life and screw with my head again?

"Willow, you okay?"

When I realized no one else was in the hallway I looked up to see Ned looking at me with concern. He must've noticed the change in my demeanor as I tried to give him a smile. "Fine, just nervous."

He obviously didn't seem to believe me before gently placing a hand onto my back. Once he started walking he said, "Don't lie to me Willow. Whatever's going on, don't let it get into your head. You can do this, I know you can."

I nodded before taking another shaky breath as I tried to clear my mind. Except the only thoughts coming into my mind were of Ryan. My fingers were shaking again as I went out onto the ice and unsuccessfully tried to remember my routine.

"Representing the United States of America, Willow Ray."

The announcer was snapping me out of my daydream as I gave the crowd a slight wave. I still felt numb as I took my position and took a shaky breath. Get through this, you need to. The Olympics is next year don't screw this up.

My pathetic attempt at trying to cheer myself up didn't work, because my mind was still wondering. My footwork was sloppy and I missed one of my jumps. I was about ready to cry when I lost my footing and slipped, landing hard onto my back with a loud thud.

"Dammit," I whispered while closing my eyes before trying to get onto my knees. When I tried to stand up my legs suddenly felt like jelly so I fell again. When my back hit the ice again I got the wind knocked out of me, and hard.

When I didn't move for awhile I heard someone skating towards me. I shifted my head to look up slightly, my back stinging in pain as I saw Ned skating towards me. He immediately kneeled down as I heard someone else skate up to us but my back and neck hurt too much to look over.

"What happened?" Ned asked, worry covering his face.

"I don't know. I fell onto my back and the second time I fell I got the wind knocked out of me. It feels like I can't even move right now."

He looked over at the other person who I still couldn't see, but felt him sliding something underneath me. Ned must've seen the worried look on my face because he said, "You're okay. We don't want you to try and move if your back hurts that much. We're going to get you off the ice okay?"

I simply nodded before closing my eyes, feeling shame wash all over my body. I was trying to hold in my tears until I got off the ice but the pathetic claps I heard made the tears fall down my cheeks. Once I was finally off the ice, I was being taken into a room where multiple people were working on me. My back should've been feeling better by now but it still felt like I had the wind knocked out of me.