Chapter Two

Mia stepped out onto the busy New York street. She looked back up to the top of the tower trying to comprehend what just happened. She had half expected Tony Stark to stop her leaving but the security guards had let her pass, so, maybe he was just letting her leave. She looked around unsure of what she was going to do. She felt her pockets for any loose change. $5 was all she had. It wouldn't get her very far but it would need to do. She started walking, not sure exactly where she was going. She just knew she had to get away from that tower.

Half an hour later Mia found herself outside the City Hall. She started climbing up the stairs leading up to the doors. She wasn't entirely sure what was going to happen, but she knew one thing. She had to find out for herself if what Tony had said was true and there was only one way she could do that. She would have to see her birth certificate with her own eyes. Her whole life she had never personally seen it. Her mum had kept it from her and even today Natasha and the eye patch guy told her there was no father listed but an hour later Tony Stark had shown up claiming to be her dad. So did that mean Natasha lied about her birth cert or was Tony Stark lying? She couldn't think of any reason for Tony Stark to lie about something like that. It would be such a hassle for him taking in a kid so it didn't seem like something he would lie about. But Mia had decided not to believe it until she had the proof in her own hands. 

"Next!" the lady behind the counter called and Mia slowly approached the old rustic desk. "How can I help you, dear?"

"I'm here to request my birth certificate"

"Of course, in that case, can you fill out and sign this form, please. What's the name and date of birth?"

"Amelia Ruth Williams and 3rd August 2001"

"Perfect. You fill in those forms for me and I'll go grab that cert for you." The lady disappeared, only to return 5 minutes later with a large brown envelope.

"Here we go. Did you fill everything in?" She said taking the form from Mia and gave it a quick glance "Yes, everything appears to be in order. So all that leaves now is the small fee."

"The fee?" Mia had no idea about a fee. All she had was $5 and something told her it was going to be more than that. She starting panicking.

"Yes, dear. I'm sorry but all public documents come with a fee of $30"

"Oh, I didn't realise. I only have $5." Mia was on the verge of tears. She was so close to seeing her birth certificate for the first time in her life. She was about to ask the lady if she could just see the certificate for a moment to see her parents names when the woman got a phone call.

"Sorry, two minutes dear" Mia couldn't hear the other side of the conversation but she didn't think it was good. All the lady was saying was hmm and then finished with "ok thank you bye" and she put the phone down. "Well dear, it seems your fee has been covered so I'll just check your paperwork one more time... yep everything seems to be in check so here you go and don't forget to look after your document."

"Really? That's great! Thank you! Goodbye"

"Bye, dear."

Mia stepped out of City Hall and took a deep breath. For the first time in her entire life, she had her birth certificate. She had the answer to her lifelong question in her hands. Had she not been so excited to have it, she probably would've wondered who was on the phone to the lady when the fee was magically covered. If she was being honest with herself, she knew exactly who it had been but she didn't want it to dampen her mood at the moment.

As excited as she was to open the envelope, she was also extremely nervous. Mia decided it was best not to open it in the street, and so instead, headed to her favourite coffee shop. She walked in and took a deep breath smelling the beautiful aromas the shop always had. She decided to treat herself since more than likely her life was going to be hell for the next while. So, she ordered a large white mocha with the last of her money. It wasn't like $5 would get her far in New York City anyway and this was going to be her last decent coffee for some time she thought.