The Great Stink

Quickly, I began to run towards them. But before I reached them, a heavy weight fell on my back. I screeched in annoyance as claws gorged deep scratches in my fur. For the third time this moon, I shook Falmesong off, and continued to run full pelt toward the wrestling queens. But I was too late. They were at the edge of the lava pool.

Just before they fell into the boiling liquid, Swallowfeather and Braveheart bounded bravely up to them. They leapt on the two cats and quickly hauled them back from the edge. Braveheart helped Crystalcloud up, as Braveheart held Darkstar down. Darkstar hissed and spat in fury, but Icesong bounded over to help her.

Together, my clan dragged the leader and deputy before the lava pool. I leapt onto the rock. "Darkstar, Coldheart, once again you have been defeated." I mewed steadily. "What do you have to say for yourselves?"

Darkheart glared furiously at me. "You can kill us, but my cats will stand on that ridge until I give the order to leave." she spat. "They may not be willing to fight, but they are willing to prevent any cat from leaving the hollow.

I cocked my head at her, surprised. "Who said anything about killing you?" I asked her, confused.

Suddenly, a terrible stench filtered down from the top of the hollow, inflaming my nostrils. The SafeClan cats that had lined the top of the hollow squealed in shock and terror and ran off into the forest with their tails between their legs. And from the trees at the opposite side of the hollow, emerged Nightpaw. In his jaws he carried a massive skunk.

Icesong fainted, and Darkstar struggled free from Swallowfeather's grip. Under Twigdapple and Mudfur's paws, Coldheart had a heart attack and died. Stormcloud collapsed to the ground, out cold.

Frostclaw strode angrily towards his apprentice, annoyance filtering the damaging stink out of his brain.

"How many times have I told you not to bring skunks into the camp?" He yowled in Nightpaw's face. "Go bury it, then wash in the stream." he added.

Nightpaw glared at him, then stalked moodily back into the forest. The stink faded, and the DangerClan cats began to recover.

Suddenly, Wildflower bounced happily into the camp. "Good news!" she yowled. "I'm pregnant!" She paused for a second and stared round at us.

"Wait, what did I miss?" she mewed slowly.