A Tale As Old As Time

Elvin released the vine, sending them flying to the mountain peak below. His metal boots landed gracefully on the rocky ground. Aria, on the other hand, was sent hurtling forward by the motion. She grasped onto Elvin, dragging him down with her.

Their bodies tumbled down the mountain. Strong hands wrapped around Aria, protecting her from the sharp rocks. An entanglement of limbs. Their bodies clashed until they eventually came to a stop.

Elvin grunted as he soothed the back of his head, letting it rest against the muddy ground. His neatly braided silver hair, stained brown by the mud. "Are you okay?" He asked.

The concerned tone barely registered on Aria's mind. Clouded by annoyance, she grasped his collar. "You bastard, you used me as prey!" Aria demanded, looking down at him.

"I couldn't be ready to attack and be the bait" - his thin lips widened jokingly - " besides, you make delectable prey."

Aria's cheek reddened, red as an apple, as frustration filled her. She wanted to slap him. Slap that smug smirk away. But she couldn't. He had gotten them safe, after all. So for that, at least, she was thankful. Her finger clamped around his cheeks and pinched. Harsher than she needed to. "Jerk." This much he deserved.

His nose wrinkled in discomfort, and she had to admit, the silver-haired elf was quite cute when he wasn't brooding. His sharp eyes shot daggers as she pinched harder. A storm thundered in those silver pools. Sparks of lightning sizzled throughout his cheek and into her fingers.

"Auch!" Aria snapped her fingers back. Remnants of energy tingled down her body. Suddenly, she was very aware of the deadly power that laid hidden in those thundering eyes.

"Now, as much as I enjoy having your thighs straddling my hips, I suggest you get up. We have a long journey to catch up to the others." Elvin casually cast his eyes down to the space between them.

Aria trailed his look and found her thighs at each side of his waist. She straightened and gasped when a large bulge pressed against her. Her anger subsided and was immediately replaced by embarrassment. Aria scrambled off of Elvin and straightened her tunic, pretending that she did not just unintentionally rub herself against him. "Despite my distaste for being used as bait, thank you for not leaving me behind."

Elvin chuckled at her statement and rose from the ground. "And why would I ever do that?"

"Why wouldn't you?"

Elvin strode forward. He took Aria's right hand in his and held it over his heart. "I am truly thankful for what you did for Lia and General Elora." Elvin's heartbeat under his chest, drumming below Aria's hand. "I am in your debt. Truly, thank you," Elvin spoke as he lowered her hand back down.

The action stunned Aria into silence, and she found herself shifting under his lingering gaze. Uneased by the intimacy of the situation, she asked, "Where are we?"

"We are south of the mother tree. It's probably best to tread towards the kingdom." Elvin began walking north, seemingly getting her hint to end the previous conversation.

"What of the others, shouldn't we try to find them?" Aria hurried to catch up to his pace.

"They are wounded and being chased by the rest of those Orcosk beasts. They most likely retreated too far for us to meet within the forest. Soldiers are trained to regroup in a neutral location. So we will walk towards where we left the Avealis first."

"Isn't it dangerous, for just the two of us?" Aria gazed around the heavy forest, wondering what dangers lurked hidden behind those beautiful sunset-colored trees.

Elvin smirked, a proud warrior smirk, "fret not. I am more than capable of keeping us safe."

After what she had observed, there was no doubt in Aria's mind of that. Never before has she seen someone move like that. So graceful. Yet so deadly. If she was honest, he looked like a god with the lightning contouring his skin.