27

Draco would always come back exhausted. He would try to hide it, but between the split second where the door eased open and he laid eyes on me, I would see it. His tired eyes, holding a tinge of sadness behind them. The same eyes that lit back up when he looked at me one moment later. His thinned out lip that I could tell was a result of his running thoughts. The same lips that grew into a smile moments later.

I tried not to bring it up. I tried to be that escape for him every time he came back. It was becoming more frequent now, he wasn't even going to classes when he was here. I tried to be his comfort, because he made it so obvious that he just wanted to forget about it, even if only for a night.

But on a certain day, it was different. His emotions didn't fade at the door, they hung over him like a rain cloud.

"Draco?" I got out of bed and walked over to him immediately. "What's going on?" I'm sure the concern was written all over my face.

"It's happening. Soon." My stomach fell.

"What's happening?" It was a dumb question but I felt I needed to ask.

"Potter was captured. Showed up at the manor. They asked me to identify him... I told them I didn't know... I don't know why.. It was so clearly him." There was fear in his eyes, he looked at anything in the room but me. "He escaped. I'm sure he'll be here soon." He messed with the hem on his suit.

"Hey. I'm sure it will be fine, just come to bed-" I grabbed his hand, it was loose, he didn't grip back.

"We can't" he muttered. Not holding my hand but also not pulling away.

"What do you-"

"I just came to get you." He finally looked at me, and I didn't like the look on his face. "He wants to see both of us."

"What for?"

"Don't know yet" he muttered. He finally gripped my hand and pulled me out the door, past the common room. Coincidentally, Blaise and Daphne were chatting on the couches.

what's wrong

Daphne mouthed as I made eye contact with her walking by. I shrugged my shoulders and continued to follow Draco out of the school completely and toward the forest. He didn't look back at me once. He didn't even talk to me. Once we made it off school grounds there was a crack and I felt my stomach turn. Instantly we were in front of Malfoy Manor.

Draco walked me directly to the sitting room I met Voldemort in the first time. Before entering he waved his wand, changing my pajamas to a black dress, Not giving me any time to process what was happening. In no time at all I was entering the room where he sat, he wasn't the only one in there though. There was a girl with long blonde hair standing in the corner of the room, a smirk on her face.

"y/n." His dark voice purred from his chair. He stood, Draco let go of my hand. I found myself gripping where it was just seconds ago, pretending it was still there as the comfort slipped away from me. "So good to see you again. Come.." he motioned for me to go closer. I stepped toward him trying to not let my knees fall from my nerves. "I heard your mother finally told you about your lineage"

"Yes" was all I could mutter out.

"Mm good. Maybe that will.. sway your influence." I gulped.

"Sway my influence?" I asked softly. Not sure if I was even able to speak.

"You see, I've heard a nasty rumor, that you would rather be fighting for... the order" It sounded as if he wanted to hurl as he said it. "Astoria back there exchanged the information with me" I turned to the girl smirking in the corner, who looked awfully familiar. "You know what she asked for in return?" he leaned closer to my face and his cold breath was felt against my face. "Your fiance" I tried to hide any emotions from showing turning my sight to Draco who was looking at the ground. How did she find out that information in the first place, the only person I told was Daphne. I looked back at her again.

Daphne.

She looks like Daphne but younger.

Does Daphne have a sister she never told me about?

"Considering you're my daughter-" Voldemort continued stepping away from me.

"Might be" I slipped.

Shit.

His look turned more evil.

"In my eyes, you are" He hissed. "I was going to give you a choice, but I'd rather have a bit of fun first" He whipped out his wand and pointed it directly at me. "Crucio" I heard before I felt the familiar feeling of my insides ripping apart. I didn't know what was happening around me, or even what I was doing. All I could feel was the ripping, tearing pain going through my whole body. When I came to I was on the ground in the fetal position. With him standing over me. "Don't talk to your father like that" he snapped. I wanted to vomit at his words. "Listen to me carefully. I understand you've grown.. soft for the Malfoy boy. He is a great family name to adopt, though I could find you better. Again, since you are my daughter, I am giving you a choice. You can keep the Malfoy if you take my mark. If you refuse, I will gladly hand him over to Astoria who has already offered what I am looking for. A loyal follower" He gave me a glare. "Though I'd prefer blood by my side." He put his wand under my chin and lifted it so I was looking at him. "Don't disappoint me. Or your dear mother won't see tomorrow."

I looked back to Draco, He was finally looking at me. What was his expression, was he shaking his head? Did he want me to take the deal? Does he want a way out? I mean his way out is directing him right into another marriage.

"My lord... may I have a word with him?" I needed to know what he was feeling. He sighed and looked at Draco.

"One minute" he hissed. I tried to stand but couldn't find my bearings. I felt a strong arm around my waist. pulling me out of the large doors before they slammed shut behind us.

"Don't" He said, holding me up with his hands on my waist.

"You want to marry her instead?" I asked quietly.

"No- No y/n but I can't live with myself knowing I'm the reason you got marked. Please just. Don't"

"But then I'll lose you" I looked into his eyes, "I feel like we just got each other and now you want to give it up?"

"I can find a way out, I can... I'll...I'll-"

"I'm going to do it," I said softly.

"Y/n don't" His eyes were getting filled with tears I gained the strength to move my hand to his cheek, his eyes closed, and leaned into my touch.

"I'd rather do this... than lose you." I whispered.

"Don't do this for me."

"I'm not doing it for you Draco. I'm doing this for us. But it's not just us on the line. I need to do this for my mom too." I tried to maneuver myself out of his grip but he held onto my waist tightly.

"Your mom wouldn't want this" he said softly.

"I'm not going to walk my mom to her death." I escaped his grip and put all my weight on the door as I opened it. "I'll do it" I said as I barely walked back in still leaning on the door for support.

"Good" He mustered some sort of look that was supposed to be a smile. "Astoria, you are no longer needed" The smirk on her face was gone, her arms crossed and a stern look on her face. Shit, how many girls did Draco have fawning over him. She stormed out the door, glaring at me the whole way. When she was next to me she leaned in to whisper.

"I'm next in line for his hand, so if anything happens to you he goes to me. That would just be a shame. Wouldn't it?" She said in a sarcastic sweet tone before completing her walk out of the room.

Damn if she is Daphne's sister I see why she doesn't talk about her.

"Come y/n, it's time" Voldemort growled from the center of the room. I looked at Draco before trying to walk over. He just stood there, as if he was waiting for me to change my mind. I turned my gaze away and started walking to Voldemort. I was about to fall over when I felt his familiar grip. He guided me to the couch and sat me there, keeping his arm around my waist.

He didn't approve of my decision, I could see that. But he also knew it was my decision and I was grateful he stayed by my side regardless. Reminding me he was there when he squeezed my waist as I felt the burning pain being drawn into my arm.

Draco's words "It's okay. I'm here" were what rang through my ear as the world went black.