eight.

They spent the rest of their sacred week in mutual bliss. There was always something to do at the manor, even if that something was simply laying on Draco's couch, kissing, drinking in the lazy summer day. Ana didn't see the guest bedroom again. She had taken up residence in Draco's bed. Innocent kisses were shared under dark covers and hours upon hours were spent talking across his pillowcase.

The day before Ana was set to leave, Draco had decided to take her to swim. She hadn't packed a bathing suit, but Danby fetched one for her, against her protests to Draco. Ana and Draco splashed at each other in the small, clear lake on the Malfoy's property, smiling and laughing under the sunlight.

"What do you think?" Miss Patmore asked Danby in a whisper as they both stood by the edge of the lake.

"Strange," groaned Danby and just as he spoke, they heard Ana let out a loud squeal as Draco tossed her over his shoulder and threw her into the water. Ana's laughter dominated the air even from a distance, but Miss Patmore was more focused on another laugh. One coming from a boy she hadn't seen laugh since he was a small child.

"It's good," Miss Patmore whispered down at Danby. "Master Draco is...happy." She said in surprise, placing a hand over her chest. As if on cue, Draco's deep, hearty laugh echoed across the water, warming Miss Patmore. Draco looked as if he was an actual teenager, not as dark, not as angry as he usually was. Danby grunted as he bent down to pick up the discarded shoes to wash and buff back at the manor. Miss Patmore had poured the couple two classes of lemonade and had sat the tray on a small bench by the trees, but she couldn't walk away just yet. This was a sight to behold. "And that girl...oh, I like her," Miss Patmore whispered enthusiastically, filled with a school-girl giggle. Danby didn't say so, but he liked the girl too. "What if she comes back, next summer?"

Danby grunted. The elf wasn't very interesting conversation for Miss Patmore, but he was the only other person in the house that she could talk to. Draco had long stopped going to her for conversation.

"Master wouldn't like it," Danby grumbled, starting to walk back up to the manor, his small legs carrying him with agonizing slowness. Miss Patmore knew this was true. She had heard Mr. Malfoy complaining about it to Mrs. Malfoy one afternoon, about two weeks ago.

"She has dirty blood, Narcissa. I won't allow it in my home," Mr. Malfoy had said, not even trying to contain his volume. Miss Patmore prayed that Draco couldn't hear them. They were in the study right under his bedroom.

"We won't even be here," Narcissa had said. "He's just a boy. Let her come." Draco had seemed very adamant about Anastasia coming to stay for a week. Draco never pleaded with his father, but Miss Patmore thought he had come pretty close to it when he asked him during dinner the week before.

"Leaving two teenagers alone?" Mr. Malfoy said, his voice spitting out at his wife. There was a long pause before he spoke again. "If that girl pops out a dirty-blooded heir of mine!"

"Hush!" Narcissa had said. Miss Patmore stiffened behind the almost-closed door. "Draco is fifteen, that is not going to happen."

"I'll go tell him myself then, so he knows he will be no son of mine if it does," Lucius had said. He eventually agreed to let Anastasia come to Malfoy manor, but not before telling Draco sternly not to get too close to her, among other things. Mr. Malfoy had used much more vulgar language with Draco, but Miss Patmore didn't want to think about that now. She just stood at the edge of the lake, watching Draco smile like she had never seen before.