CHAPTER 2 THE CAR SHOW

I did manage to get my room finished before the car show. And yes, that would be, with plenty of daydreaming.

On the morning of the car show, breakfast seemed to take forever. All I wanted to do was leave. Dad was taking forever. Mom kept packing more stuff in the cooler for us.

“Please, can we leave now? Please!” I pleaded

“Ok bud,” Dad chuckled. “We’re going.”

We pulled up to the car show parking lot. Even some of the cars in the parking lot were cool. I couldn’t wait to see the show cars.

This show was great! They had everything here! Old hot rods, dragsters, hooked up street cars and show cars. I could walk this place ten times and still not be tired of it.

It was lunch time so Dad and I headed for the car. “Hey neighbor!” someone said. It was the GTO guy who lived across the street from us.

“Hi, I’m Don. I live right across the street from you.”  He said. “This is my daughter, Ella. My wife Becky isn’t here. She doesn’t really care for cars.”

“Hi, I’m Peter. This is my son Zack.” Dad said. “My wife Jenn usually comes along. But she is bent on getting everything unpacked.”

“Are you guys car buffs like us?” Don asked. “Ella’s only five and is already hooked on cars.” Ella grinned widely, but sheepishly hugged her dads leg.

“I do like the shows.” Dad said. “But Zack here can’t get enough of cars. We go to every car show in driving distance.”

“I saw the GTO you’re working on. Great car, and fast.” I said.

“Thanks. Its good car to get started with, because the parts are so cheap. I’m trying to get done in time for a race coming up. But, I'm working by myself. I don’t think I’ll make it in time. I could really use your help. If you're allowed?”

“Yeah! I would love to!” I said as fast as I could.

"Yeah. That’s fine with me." Dad said.

“Great, I'll be home from work at 4 O'clock.” Don said.

We had plenty of food to share. So we invited Don and Ella to eat with us. The four of us spent the rest of the day together.