CHAPTER 7 NEAR MISS

We were getting close to being done with the car. Don still hadn't found a driver. I wasn't sure how to start the conversation with him. 'I know I'm only fifteen, but, can I be your driver?' That's just not going to work. I think Don could tell I was distracted. But he didn't say anything right away.

We were installing aftermarket racing gages, because they are more accurate. Don was in the drivers seat. I was going back and forth for tools we needed. Ella usually helped us with the tools. But, she was distracted by a new ball. I stopped to watch her for a second. Trying to think of what to say to Don.

"Everything ok, Zack? Don asked.

Just then, Ella's ball bounced away from her into the street. She ran after it. A car was coming down the street. They were going way too fast and weren't looking. "Ella! Stop!" I yelled. She didn't stop. I dropped the tool I was holding and made a dash for her. I snatched her out of the cars way just in time. The side view mirror just brushed my shirt. The car didn't even stop. Don was right behind me. He grabbed me and Ella, hugging us both tight. Becky had heard me yell Ella's name and came running out.

Out of no where I had a camera crew in my face. "That was incredible! What’s your name young man?"