chapter twenty-eight

THE WARMTH OF my bed is at war with the chilled air around me, grazing my bare back as I bury my face further in my pillow. A soft moan falling from my lips as I hug my pillow tightly, slipping my hands over the smooth sheets. Last night feels like a dream, or better explained, an out-of-body experience. Nothing feels real and I almost don't believe it is, but my lips curl up because I know it wasn't. It happened. We happened, and it makes my heart race.

My hand slips out from under my pillow and across the mattress towards Greyson's side of the bed, prepared to trace my fingers over his arm. And when I come up empty, feeling nothing but more mattress, my stomach drops. I turn my head to see he's gone, and I immediately think the worse as I turn, bringing the comforter up to my chest as I try to sit up.

Before my imagination can get the best of me, worried that maybe he's changed his mind, Greyson steps into the doorway with a pair of sweatpants hanging low on his waist. There's the ease of a smile on his lips that settles my heart. There's just something so raw about the way he looks at me, like he's seeing me for the first time.

"Good morning, gorgeous."

"Hi," I say, biting my lip as I rest my head gently against his pillow, running my hand over my face. "I... you're here."

His lips curl up as he walks towards my bed. "Of course, I am. Where else would I be?"

"I don't know... I just, I thought maybe you regretted what happened when I woke up and you weren't here." I swallow, my chest pounding in fear that he'll laugh at me for overthinking as usual.

I wait in anticipation for his laughter to come out, but instead he kneels on the mattress and leans down. "I don't regret anything that happened last night, Robyn."

"You're sure?"

"I'm sure." He leans in to kiss me when I put my finger up against his lips, stopping him. His eyes fill with question as he looks at me.

"I have morning breath." I frown.

"I don't care," he says with the shake of his head.

I smile despite it, pouting as I drop my finger from his lips. "I care."

He drops his head with a sigh, resting his head against my shoulder before pushing up on his hands. "Alright, go brush your teeth so I can kiss you."

A laugh falls from my lips as I crawl over to the side of the bed, pulling the sheet with me as I creep towards the door. Greyson follows me towards the bathroom, watching me with a warm gaze. It's impossible for me to keep the butterflies at bay in my stomach as I reach for my toothbrush, trying to maintain my focus with his watchful eye.

"You know, that's not as cute as you think it is," I tell him after rinsing my mouth, his eyes still on me as I reach for my moisturizer on the countertop.

"You don't think so?" he ask as he walks up behind me, his hands moving over my waist and toward my hips as he wraps his arms around me. A small hum falls from my lips as I shake my head, egging him on further as he moves my hair to the side, pressing small kisses to my neck and jaw. "How about now?"

"I don't know if cute is the right word."

"What word would you use instead?" he mumbles against my skin as he moves the sheet from the shoulder, leaving a trail of kisses in its place. The gesture is so sweet and gentle that it makes me sway, leaning back into his touch to catch my breath. He's driving me crazy, the singular action of his touch tormenting me.

Humming gently, I tilt my head to the side as he kisses up my neck. "Devious."

"Devious?" he asks, whispering against my skin. "Interesting."