Typefaces, the Struggle Continues

Welcome to our last chapter on fonts! 

I tried to make it as short as possible, as I noticed the other chapters were really wordy.

𝟎𝟏 | 𝐓𝐄𝐗𝐓-𝐒𝐋𝐀𝐏 𝐂𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐒

What is a 'text-slap' cover? It's supposed to mean covers that have an image, and the editor simply 'slapped' the text on said image and called it a cover. Which, they're right. It is a cover.

It's just like any cover style

It's just like any cover style. Some people make it look awful, and some don't. It doesn't make you a fake editor.

Many (read: salty hoes) think text-slap covers require no skill at all. 'No skill' is that first cover, and understandably so, as it was the first cover I ever made. The other covers require knowledge of colour, typefaces, and overall familiarity with other elements of design.

The whole idea of design is to make something look appealing. It doesn't matter who did more or less work, as people only care about the end result. For those who think it's lazy, let me remind you of what we said two chapters ago. Every book cover depend on its genre, and not all covers require heavy manips. Shocking, I know. Plus, lots of beginners start out with 'text-slap' covers as they don't know much yet. Are you calling them lazy?

Take that first cover. Is it bad? Yes. Lazy? Nah. It was my first cover, and without it I wouldn't be making the covers I make now. It doesn't make others lazy. Especially not when they're still learning. I admit that now it's become a lazy thing for me (literally with the first 3 covers on my profile), but it doesn't change the fact that there is still skill needed to make it look good. 

Let me give you a life lesson, whoever said beauty isn't everything was wrong —at least in the cover design world. Unless it's a horror book, your cover should be as beautiful as Lee fucking Taeyong

𝟎𝟐 | 𝐌𝐈𝐗𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐘𝐏𝐄𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐄𝐒

Mix, here isn't the right word. No one really mixes  fonts unless they're insane. It's more like, how to go about using more than one typeface on any one (1) graphic type. 

There are so many guides online, so I won't go into too much detail. However, you want to keep the typefaces within the same genre. Remember how in the previous chapter there were more than two typefaces that could be used for each genre? You can use that as a guide.

The font for the author name or quote should go along with the title's font and also the genre. I say to start off with two, but there will be times when you only need one. There will also be times when you will need more than two. Take the 19th century posters for example, they had a heck of a lot of fonts.